Honored Contributor

Re: Fake Flower Representations - When will it stop?

wrote:

Maybe they should start selling the fakes, that way you can really get what you see.

They already do...ever see those overly expensive baskets of plants from Bethlehem Lights and Nearly Natural?

They don’t even look as nice in person as they do on TV.

Valued Contributor

The Cottage Farms Sunpatiens shown on air are real.  I've purchased them for many years and they have always grown beautifully in my garden.  With any plant purchased from a catalog, online plant web site, shopping channel, or local nursery,
my knowledge in the plant, their care and follow through with attention will bring success. 
I've heard both reps from Cottage Farms and Roberta's, as well as the hosts in their program, state that the plants on stage are a representation of what you could have in your garden.  Also, from time to time, with particular flowers or plants, I've seen a note stating something like, "Individual results may vary".   I'm fully aware that not every plant will be a winner and fortunately, when some do not do well for whatever reason, customer service has been top notch with a refund.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

If QVC did a live remote from where these companies have their green houses then we  could see the real flowers .   When they want to sell that flower again weeks later they could just refer to the  Live broadcast  video  from that show . 

They have gone to Italy and also to the West Coast many times  to sell 

I'm sure a lot of viewers would love to see the green houses and the gardens of these flower companies 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is not just that they are using 'representations'; it is that their representations are unrealistic, super-flowering, super-colored, unnatural misrepresentations.

Does it truly not bother you that QVC is covering up the real 1/4" pale blue flowers of their phlox with fake 1" bright, deep blue flowers and putting more fake flowers on their sample than would ever appear at one time in nature (no matter how green your thumb)?  That's like showing a Diamonique ring with 25 stones, along with a disclaimer that 'individual rings may vary', then sending you a ring that has 3 small stones.

Contributor

I do. If they have hot houses, which they do, they can do it.

It disgusts me that they use fake flowers interspersed with real.

Honored Contributor

Most  of the plants shown on QVC’s garden shows that are faux are flowering shrubs and trees.  There is no way to force the whole plant into bloom.  A branch could be brought indoors and made to bloom early, but not the whole plant.  In addition, some plants require a winter freeze before they will bloom.  

They cannot be forced to bloom in a hot house.  To suggest so is really silly.

Valued Contributor

With the live plants CF or Roberta's do bring in, I often wonder how the plants survive the shock of coming from their hot house or wherever they're grown, out into the dead of winter just to be viewed on air. The ones that do must be pretty hearty, therefore a good choice.  Delicate flowering plants would not survive in transit so they have to use faux plants for the demonstration, which they honestly inform the viewers.   In lieu of doing a remote demonstration from their grower's location which would be too costly, they show still photos of the live plants in bloom from the growers to give the viewers an idea of how they could look under similar conditions.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll admit I was quite surprised back when I learned the flowers are fake.  That doesn't bother me, but I do feet the size and quantity of flowers are a bit exaggerated for some plants..

Honored Contributor

Omg!!!!   I had no idea that Qvc did such a sneaky thing.  Do they at least tell people "this isn't what you can expect" ?

Honored Contributor

wrote:

You can't expect them to have full-grown blooms.

They can grow them in a greenhouse.  They can film them rather than having them on set.  I'm not a gardner, I don't have a horse in this race but it just seems so wrong and misleading.  Of course, I take that back if QVC is honest with the viewers throughout the presentation.