Honored Contributor

Slinky Bird Feeder Keeps Squirrels Away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjhBKDzKcE

Does anyone use this?

What a creative idea to solve a problem!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Slinky Bird Feeder Keeps Squirrels Away

Several things I noticed— pole is way too high to refill feeder. Second, video doesn’t show where slinky is anchored.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjhBKDzKcE

Does anyone use this?

What a creative idea to solve a problem!!!

HI   I bought 2 of these last summer....the chipmonk goes right up from the inside of the circle......I have seen a squirrel on my feeder too...no sure how he got up there but I would say works maybe 1/2 the time,  certainly not good for a chipmonk...LOL!  

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

Several things I noticed— pole is way too high to refill feeder. Second, video doesn’t show where slinky is anchored.

We anchored ours to the ground with stake, and the top with a tie it come with in the box,  but also used a piece of thin wire and attatched to where the shepherd's hook curves at the top,    as I mentioned before,  chipmonks go right up the inside of the links...and some squirrels still managed to get to my bird feeder....Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I loved the first response under the video:  "Me, climbing the corporate ladder."  Woman LOL

I just finished reading "Two Nights," the new novel by Kathy Reichs.  Her main character feeds a friendly squirrel.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

saw an excellent idea at our local wild bird store the other day.

it was a tube type feeder that i believe 9+ birds could be perched on at different levels.

if something heavy (like a squirrel) were to get onto one of the perches, it would shut the hole that the seeds come out.

i am really considering this type of feeder because we have a ton of squirrels who love to take more than their share of bird food. it was expensive though.

i have begun buying the hot pepper cylinder style feeders and for sure the squirrels dont like that, but many other BiRDS do, especially the woodpeckers.

i also added a finch feeder and we have tons of finches around.

we have had a GREAT variety of birds come around this winter.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I tried a Slinky on the pole of my bird feeder last spring and it didn’t always work.  I ended up buying and attaching one if those upside down metal cones which works every time. 

Valued Contributor

wrote:

saw an excellent idea at our local wild bird store the other day.

it was a tube type feeder that i believe 9+ birds could be perched on at different levels.

if something heavy (like a squirrel) were to get onto one of the perches, it would shut the hole that the seeds come out.

i am really considering this type of feeder because we have a ton of squirrels who love to take more than their share of bird food. it was expensive though.

i have begun buying the hot pepper cylinder style feeders and for sure the squirrels dont like that, but many other BiRDS do, especially the woodpeckers.

i also added a finch feeder and we have tons of finches around.

we have had a GREAT variety of birds come around this winter.

@sunshine45  I just bought that feeder, and so far, so good!

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Honored Contributor

I have two of these and they work!   If squirrels get on, the outer part slides down and closes the seed openings.  The squirrels are too heavy.  I've had MANY birds on them and they still stay open for the birds.  They've only closed for the squirrels.  Now, the squirrels  gather at the bottom of the shepard's pole and wait for the birds to drop seeds. LOL 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@dmod nj

that is what i am thinking of buying, but in more of a tube style. they are so expensive though. do you remember how much yours were?

the lady in the wild bird store said they are really the best for keeping squirrels off of the bird feeder. i have a metal and plastic feeder and those darn squirrels are now gnawing on the plastic part! LOL i cannot afford to buy new bird feeders every few months.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein