Honored Contributor

Re: Fake Flower Representations - When will it stop?

It's not that hard to force plants to flower out of season. If you've ever gone a major flower show (like the Philly Flower Show) you'll find thousands of plants flowering out of season and no fake flowers. They'll even force trees to flower out of season. With temperature controlled greenhouses, artificial lighting, and the right care, it's pretty easy for a grower to have full sized, real, live plants with real flowers, at any time of the year. It's easier to use fake flowers, but it's not necessary. Any competent grower could have the real plants with real flowers if they chose to do so.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I only saw about five minutes of this show, but they were showing a huge pot of beautiful hens 'n chicks.  Antonella asked the vendor how long it would take to have that many, and he said two seasons.  That is so not true.  I have had hens 'n chicks in the past that did very well, and there's no way most people would have that many and that large plants in two seasons.  Antonella even seemed surprised at his answer.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@gardenman  I have been to garden shows in the winter time, including the one in Philly.  Yes, it can be done, but at what expense?  It would raise the cost of the plants to where no one would want to purchase them...way too expensive.

It costs an admission fee to go to the Garden Shows, that offsets the cost of transporting, and maintaining the plants for a period of time.  QVC can’t do that.  They also would need many specimens of the same variety blooming at different times, because some plants are shown for weeks until they sell out.

Yes,  it can be done, but it is not practical from a business point of view.  Besides, all the plants seem to sell out. There doesn’t seems to be a good reason for force live plants when they don’t have to.

Trusted Contributor

Maybe they should start selling the fakes, that way you can really get what you see.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@gardenman  I have been to garden shows in the winter time, including the one in Philly.  Yes, it can be done, but at what expense?  It would raise the cost of the plants to where no one would want to purchase them...way too expensive.

It costs an admission fee to go to the Garden Shows, that offsets the cost of transporting, and maintaining the plants for a period of time.  QVC can’t do that.  They also would need many specimens of the same variety blooming at different times, because some plants are shown for weeks until they sell out.

Yes,  it can be done, but it is not practical from a business point of view.  Besides, all the plants seem to sell out. There doesn’t seems to be a good reason for force live plants when they don’t have to.

How many plants does QVC sell? Divide the cost of forcing the plants by the volume of plants sold, and the cost would be minimal. Let's say it costs $100 to force a plant, but they sell 1000 plants. That's what? Ten cents a plant? It's not that big of an expense. Artificial flowers aren't free either. They have to buy them. I don't see it being a financial issue as much as a convenience issue. They're just taking the easiest route. It's a tad deceptive, but I've seen worse. I'd prefer they use real plants with real flowers, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I didn't realize until last summer they were all fake. I was so bummed. I thought how dishonest. They bring in these beautiful flowers and they tell you this can be yours. Hogwash. I notice now their plant food is sitting right there. Hogwash

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I didn't realize until last summer they were all fake. I was so bummed. I thought how dishonest. They bring in these beautiful flowers and they tell you this can be yours. Hogwash. I notice now their plant food is sitting right there. Hogwash

@sweetee2  I don't think they are all fake.

Trusted Contributor

proudlyfromNJ:  I hope that's true. When the flower shows  start for summer I will look harder.

Honored Contributor

They really do honor what they say (about them growing and/or dying).

About 2 years ago I planted several things and actually kept track of them.  I contacted them and when some died I called and the next time I received some (the one's I'd called about) for free.

Last year the plants came while I was in rehab.  I had a friend plant them and several of them died.  She didn't keep track of them so I don't know which was which one.  It was my fault so I couldn't blame them.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

How many plants does QVC sell? Divide the cost of forcing the plants by the volume of plants sold, and the cost would be minimal. Let's say it costs $100 to force a plant, but they sell 1000 plants. That's what? Ten cents a plant? It's not that big of an expense. Artificial flowers aren't free either. They have to buy them. I don't see it being a financial issue as much as a convenience issue. They're just taking the easiest route. It's a tad deceptive, but I've seen worse. I'd prefer they use real plants with real flowers, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Your math is more involved than that. If it cost $100 to force a plant and that plant comes in four colors for that specimen that is $400.  Many plants come in different colors and you would need a specimum of each color and it would have to be in full bloom for the show.  Because the plants are shown over a period of a month or two, how would you keep just one plant of each in full bloom at any given presentation?  You would need several pants of each. Then the plant would probably have to be discarded after it was sold out.

QVC doesn’t have a greenhouse in their warehouse.  The plants are shipped to your home by the vendors.  The vendors would have to force a plant and get it to West Chester, PA where it is freezing.  The plant would have to travel in a controlled environment to arrive safe and sound without stressing the plant.

The faux plants are not cheap either.  They probably cost thousands of dollars to replicate, but they can be reused and they won’t get stressed and die.  A business is going to do whatever raises their bottom line.  They will not lose money and will pass the additional expenses on to the consumers. Yes, it is easier and more convienent use faux plants and much cheaper too.

it would be totally ridiculous  to show only live plants on QVC in the winter time.

I knew years ago that QVC uses some faux plants.  They have never hidden that fact.  It has been mentioned during the presentations many times.