Esteemed Contributor

Certainly not my favorites; but grackles, blackbirds and starlings just showed up at my feeders.  Ugh - song birds & woodpeckers will have to fight for their rights now.  (Northeast)

Valued Contributor

My sweet FIL always said:  "They gotta eat, too!"   I always think of that when I see them.  (Even though they don't have very good manners.)   

On a very cold day,  I looked out and my yard was covered in frozen snow.  Cut to the starlings.  They came, they saw, they ate.  When they finally left, a 20 x 20 area of my yard had NO snow at all.  

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt, it is amazingly mild here in Nova Scotia and the rain has taken the snow away.  We are seeing  a lot of birds here as well.  They are at the feeders and the robins have gone crazy at the holly berries.  First time I’ve seen the robins do that.  The pheasants usually beat them to it.

Hoping for that early Spring!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Flock of robins usually do - and did this year in Dec ate all my Washington Hawthorne red berries.  Then they disappeared but I did hear a robin this week in my woodlot and then today the small flock of black birds - several kinds.  When I see - hear the redwinged bb's I'll know for sure it's an early spring.  I'm so anxious to get outside to trim bushes and use my new Martha power washer!

We've had 120 average inches of snow and today (central NY) it was 70 degrees or higher- green grass except for high snow banks.  Stay warm

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmomwrote:

@fthunt, it is amazingly mild here in Nova Scotia and the rain has taken the snow away.  We are seeing  a lot of birds here as well.  They are at the feeders and the robins have gone crazy at the holly berries.  First time I’ve seen the robins do that.  The pheasants usually beat them to it.

Hoping for that early Spring!  LM

Robin’s eat the berries off of junipers too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, I never knew that!   Will have to keep an eye out for that.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't seen any Grackles yet......nt looking forward to it.....such bullies at the feeder..

Honored Contributor

Grackles not here yet on LI (at least at my feeders).

This winter I noticed a return of crows at 2 large parking lots near me — a Home Depot & a ShopRite supermarket. They aren’t shy about walking on car roofs & hoods!

This winter I did notice something disturbing — less birds of all species at my feeders. I was not replenishing food as often as I did last winter.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼