Respected Contributor

Some large critter just destroyed our squirrel feeder!

[ Edited ]

We have (had!) a wooden squirrel feeder that we set on our deck, outside the gate to the stairs so the dogs can't reach it.  It had a gallon-sized glass jar we put shelled peanuts in and lay it down on it side, sliding the neck of the jar into a little wooden "house" with holes on two sides so the squirrels can go in and stuff their cheeks with peanuts and stay dry, and the nuts stay dry, too.  A week or so ago, we found some of the wood frame of the feeder chewed off and shredded, like something was trying to get the peanuts but was too big to fit it's head into the holes on the sides.  This morning, in broad daylight, we heard some thumping, and our Scottie flew out through the doggie door and raced down to the end of the deck where the squirrel feeder sits, barking.  By the time I got out there, whatever had dome the damage was gone, but the glass jar was in pieces down the stairs, and the wooden part of the feeder was even more gnawed on.  I suspect coytoes and bobcats would not care for peanuts, so all I can guess is that the culprit is either a porcupine or a black bear!  Yikes!  Thankfully, we had a plastic jar that fits into the wooden holder, so the squirrels will still get to eat today, but I don't know what to do to dissuade the bandit from coming back other than putting the feeder where the dogs can protect it, but they'll chase off the squirrels, too, which defeats the purpose of a squirrel feeder.  Of course, I only feed the squirrels to keep them from stealing the bird seed, so if I stop feeding any wildlife at all, the problem goes away, but I love feeding the birds so I have to divert the squirrels so I am now feeding some big nasty critter!  What a slippery slope!  It may be time for a motion-detector infra-red camera, so at least I know what I'm dealing with!

Contributor

Re: Some large critter just destroyed our squirrel feeder!

What part of the country do you live in?  DH says that bears are hibernating at this time of year here in the Northeast.  Could it be a raccoon?

Respected Contributor

I just know it's a raccoon, I live in the NE and the raccoons are into tearing up everything  I put out.I bought a trap suppose to be kind , it's a cage. I caught so many, and the animal control came and got them, 3 or 4 family's have borrowed it. They will tear down and break my hummingbird feeders, or tear down anything, they think has food in it. Once they start they will continue to come till you catch them or they are road kill. Good luck, they are also carriers of rabies, so wear gloves when they are breaking things you need to pick up. I live in western panhandle of WV, we don't have bears.

Respected Contributor

If it is a bear who is comfortable enough to go onto your back deck twice you have Trouble.  Move the feeder away from your doors. If it is a racoon,  guard your doggie door.

Again, my advice is to move the feeder further away from your house.   The squirrels will find it.

Esteemed Contributor

I vote.......Raccoon too.  I also feed the birds and have seen many wild animals - foxes, etc.  Raccoons can be very destructive and excellent climbers.  (trees)

Honored Contributor

My first thought would have been a raccoon, but I thought they were more nocturnal.  I fill my bird feeders on my deck early in the morning before dawn.  When I had a raccoon problem in the past, he was on my deck when I looked out and he was not at all intimidated by my presence.  He just stared me down.  I eventually chased him off with a broom.  He was back one more time and when I knocked him off my railing with my broom, he landed on my brick patio.  It stunned him for awhile, but then he disappeared.  Hasn't returned since.........yet.  I am not at all a fan of raccoons.

Honored Contributor

Whether it’s a bear, raccoon, porcupine, groundhog, deer, rat, etc., you do not want to keep baiting this animal and bringing it so close to your house.   The animal will not stop coming until the food source disappears.   

We stopped feeding the birds because the spilled seed drew rats and deer into the back yard; 2 rodents I absolutely cannot stand.  We have had a rat issue ever since my brother decided to raise chickens, and even tho the chickens are gone, we are still killing rats two years later.     

I live in southern WV, and we do have frequent bear sightings in the winter.   

Respected Contributor

Putting a feeder on the ground invites all manner of animals to your house for a meal.  Could be a raccoon or a rat but they are normally nocturnal.  Could be a possum or an armadillo, lots of things depending on where you live.  I don't think it's a bear because I think you would have seen it.  I would stop feeding wild animals.

Honored Contributor

A rabid raccoon will come out in the daytime as well as night.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I'd worry about my dog rushing out to confront whatever is there.  A raccoon  can tear a dog up; if your visitor is a raccoon, I'm surprised it didn't attack the dog.  Again, you have to worry about rabies.  I'd get rid of the feeder and let the squirrels tough it out.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment