Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cottage Farm & Roberta experience?

So right, JJM, about the daylilies. I've always thought they were beautiful, of course, but never got into them wholesale. Then I had the good fortune of buying a house with established plantings with many, and my goodness the show goes on from spring until mid/late summer. And this was done before all the re-bloomers.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

I just received my Dahlias from Roberta's and the bulbs

are VERY smal,l nothing like they show on the gardening

program... Those on the show are 3 times larger than

what I got today..

:

I deserve what I got because I said I was never ever

going to buy plants from QVC again... and I did...

Super Contributor

On 3/10/2015 momshan said:

I, too, have bought from Roberta's and they have all died. I will only buy local now.

Mine all died & QVC only refunded me half my money...

Super Contributor

My Cottage Farms roses were beautiful when they

bloomed.. I had them for 2 years then they died...

:

Their Sunpatients are magnificent...

Honored Contributor

So far, I have received Cottage Farms, sedums, three hydrangea set, blackberry plants, and the two reblooming Lilacs, all looking great and growing. One of the Lilacs instead of being multibranched, is one stick with growth on top, but I think with cutting back the top in the Fall, it will spread, and neither look as good as what was shown in the presentation, but I think they will thrive under my care, if not, I will complain. I am very happy with the rose and hydrangea fertilizers.

I received Roberta's creeping thyme, and it looks fantastic. The Phlox are on the way, and the fig trees aren't due to ship until the middle of May.

New Contributor

Hi.

I am a non-professional, but often consulted home landscape designer and gardener. Since Q has offered new, not yet available in my area plants and shrubs, I have been roped in many times. I can honestly tell you that amongst the hundreds of dollars I have spent on Roberta's and Cottage Farms plants that I have ordered from Q, there are few to none (I have no idea what will survive after this winter) have survived or ever flourished. I would not recommend investing your money in any Roberta's or CF offerings. Instead, go to your local, reputable nursery. Purchase plants that are grown and will thrive in your area. There, you will also be able to see what you are purchasing. Remember, every plant that you see on Q has been grown and cultivated in the perfect environment, under superior conditions. Most often, this does not match what you will have in your own yard. Please, just think twice before spending your money.

Iya329

Not applicable

it was not worth the money I spent on Roberta's Delosperma Hybrid Iceplants, including shipment of 60$.
Regular Contributor

I haven't had good luck with Roberta's at all. I ordered some fancy lavender plants, they arrived dead, every one. When I called for a replacement, they were sold out, of course. The next spring, they sent me ordinary lavender that I could get anywhere. 4/6 of those died as well. Same story with some toad lilies. They never grew, so Roberta's sent me poker lilies--not even the same variety of plant! I will never buy from them again. Roberta's is 60 miles from me, so I doubt the plants died en route. Poor quality.
Not applicable

Everything looks so gorgeous in the presentations, but I've purchased many items from both Cottage Farms and Roberta's and have had terrible luck with both. I'm not inexperienced with gardening and have always followed the directions carefully, but I've never been able to get a plant from either company last more than a couple months. They never arrive in the promised condition either. I've also been disappointed with the guarantee. I once complained to CF about an expensive bi-color tree rose that quickly died and they still had it in stock at QVC, so I expected to promptly receive a new one. But they waited until the following year and then sent me a completely different and very ugly variety of rose as a replacement that I had no interest in growing (it died too). Since then I've no longer bothered with the guarantee, and haven't made any QVC garden purchases at all in three years because I know I'll be disappointed.

Respected Contributor

Kayla, I have never purchased from Roberta's, and only once from Cottage Farms. About 5-6 years ago they offered a set of 3 Rose of Sharon trees. I gave one to my DIL (the deer ate it!) and planted the other two in my fenced back yard. They lived and got leaves every year, but not a single flower for 3 YEARS! Then, year #4 they bloomed. I see the beginnings of buds on them this spring. They are very pretty.

I definitely wouldn't spend all my budget on those flowers...maybe a couple things to try that you can't find locally. I've had the best luck with lilacs (transplanted from a friend's house) and bulbs such as tulips and iris. This year DH and I have started several varieties of perennial seeds in egg cartons...they are on our kitchen table in front of a sunny window, and all sprouting really well. Anxious to see how they do.

My biggest flower success was a giant hibiscus plant we got at K-Mart years ago--I think they were ten dollars each. Planted two of them in front of our picture window and they come back beautifully each year. The flowers are the size of a dinner plate. People just driving by have stopped in to ask about them!