Frequent Contributor

I am considering ordering a couple of the Cottage Farms Hydrangea plants - Cherry Jubilee or Peppermint Twist.  Was thinking of planting in containers to flank my garage door.  That area receives morning shade and afternoon sun.  I am in Zone 5.  Does anyone have any experience with these plants?  Do they bloom the first year?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

they need a lot of watering, is all I know.

I don't have a green thumb so I can't give any advice other than that.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cottage Farm Hydrangeas

[ Edited ]

@qshpr89wrote:

I am considering ordering a couple of the Cottage Farms Hydrangea plants - Cherry Jubilee or Peppermint Twist.  Was thinking of planting in containers to flank my garage door.  That area receives morning shade and afternoon sun.  I am in Zone 5.  Does anyone have any experience with these plants?  Do they bloom the first year?  Any advice would be appreciated.

@qshpr89  Yes, I have bought many Cottage Farms hydrangeas.  They will be small upon arrival, but I and Phillip suggest that you graduate the size of the pot the first year.  I put mine in a one gallon pot for the first year as they won't grow much, first year a plant sleeps, second year a plant creeps, and the third year, get out of the way, lol.

I also buy hydrangeas from Hydrangeas Plus, these plants arrive large and will bloom the first year.  A bit more expensive, about $21 or so, and free shipping, but they have been growing for at least two years so a good price considering, but if one doesn't want to wait a few years, they are wonderful.

Esteemed Contributor

@qshpr89Hydrangeas thrive in Zone 5. I also live in Zone 5-B and they have become the accent plant within the past 5 years. Give them a try! Easy care; pretty year-round. Gotta love that. Have fun! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

The deer love them.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for the input. Between the deer, squirrels, muskrat and rabbits I think part of annual flower budget goes to help feed them. 😂 I just thought the deer might not stroll around the front to have a snack. Maybe I should try something less tasty to them. Thanks,

Trusted Contributor

Re: Cottage Farm Hydrangeas

[ Edited ]

I'll bet if you do an online search, you can find plants that deer DON'T like. I'm guessing it'll be a short list. Smiley Wink

Spoiler

ETA: I've tried to get ride of the spoiler alert emoticon but it won't come off.