Esteemed Contributor

I have two beautiful Canadian Hemlocks in the ground about eight years, around six feet tall, lovely and full with a very graceful drape. You've probably heard me moaning about our tough winter. One of the hemlocks I suffering. It is buried in about 4 1/2 feet of snow. The only section showing is turning orangy/yellow.

I am wondering if I am going to have to cut this back or if I am going to lose the whole tree? I suppose I should wait till the snow recedes to view the full extent of the damage. The other Hemlock is in a different location and does not exhibit this problem. Any thoughts appreciated. LM

Contributor

Wait until you are well into spring to analyze the tree-I have a hedge of canadian hemlocks and they have done so many things, and turned different colors-the good news is if you do cut back branches it can just grow back and fill itself in nicely.

Honored Contributor

I agree with newshound, wait till no snow covering it to inspect the entire hemlock. It could be winter damage.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Newshound, Jazz, yes I will wait. It was 11 Celcius here today, the warmest it has been this spring so the snow is melting. Thanks for the encouragement. Your hedge sounds lovely newshound. LM

Honored Contributor

As you know the Canadian hemlocks are not doing well by us (the Northeastern parts of the US) due to the wooly adelgid, a type of scale insect. Very hard to eradicate using insecticides once it establishes itself with the hemlock eventually losing its needles. One important thing: if you have this insect you need to stop fertilizing the hemlock in the hopes that it will rally against the insect. It just makes them more numerous as they get more nutrition from the sap. We have alternate plants to plant in lieu of hemlocks like Western Arborvitae. But its just not the same as the original hemlocks we grew up with.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't heard anything about that insect but will give the tree a good look once the snow is gone. My father lost elms due to Dutch Elm disease. We had many old elms on his property. So sad. LM

Honored Contributor

They look like this on the hemlocks:

Image result for wooly adelgidHemlock woolly adelgid on hemlock branches

Esteemed Contributor

Oh thanks for the photo. Nothing looking like that I'm happy to say. Fingers crossed.

Once the needles turn, will they return to green or is it a lost cause? If it's a lost cause, I will prune. LM