Honored Contributor

Each Spring, for the last few years, I find a surprise waiting for me out in the far back yard. I have a very large yard. I'll just name a couple...last year, found a couple broken drinking glasses well into my yard, weren't there in the Fall, but there they lay when the snow melted. This year, under a tree in my yard, a nice pile of broken limbs, all stacked up like for a campfire (if a limb of that tree had broken during the winter, they would not have fallen into that nice pile), and of course the never ending plastic Walmart/grocery store type bags that people seem to just open their doors and toss out (why don't people take care of their trash better?) Makes me wonder which of my neighbors has decided to make my yard their dumping ground. Just one of the things that makes me shake my head these days. Sorry for the rant.

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

snickster, when I saw this title and then In the Garden, I couldn't think what possible peeves someone would have in a garden except for weeds, slugs and critters who dig where you don't want them to!

I detest littering of any kind, except for an apple core where it will decompose into the soil. Littering in someone's yard is contemptible!

Trusted Contributor

We live on a rural road and we're constantly picking up empty beer and liquor bottles that people (probably kids) throw out their vehicle windows. Empty plastic water and soda bottles. Empty cigarette packs. Old flyers that either blew out of people's paper/mail boxes or that they threw out. It's constant during the summer. Before we can mow by the road, we have to walk down and clean everything up. It's not just our yard; it's pretty common throughout the neighborhood. I guess part of living along a rural yard is having your yard used as a trash bin for idiots.

Honored Contributor

I know...just baffles me, the mind set of, if I break a glass, I'll just toss it into my neighbors yard? As to the pile of limbs, no clue what the purpose of that one was. Like I said, just a pet peeve that people do these things. Oh well, I just clean up the messes they create and go on with my day. SMH.

Esteemed Contributor

now long after I married we bought a home where there was a grade school on the corner...(this was over 40 years ago) we had litter all the time from the kids eating on the way to and from school.....apparently they were never taught your wrappers....cans...school work papers..are to be thrown in the trash...not peoples front yards....

Regular Contributor

How about the people who empty their cars ash tray on the ground in a parking lot, Or the dirty diapers?

I watched my neighbor get out of his car and while walking to his house empty his pockets of paper and throw it on the ground.

Honored Contributor

Aren't people amazing??

Super Contributor

Do you have a security light in the back yard? Maybe put one of those fake cameras up near the back door. Isn't it hard to believe that people are so lazy that they can't throw away their own garbage?

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

Sometimes its the fault of the Sanitary Collection people; the trash bag might open and with winds, some of the trash gets blown onto the property.

I did find a deflated football on my utility strip. Asked a neighbor who has kids if it was his; (it was not) and I tossed it out yesterday.

No, it was not one of the Patriot's footballs! Wink

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

There's a religious group that goes door to door where I live. If you're not home, or don't answer the door, they leave a leaflet stuck in your door. Those things are always blowing away. As you come home, you can always tell if they've been down the block when you see the leaflets blowing around.