Esteemed Contributor

Can grape hyacinth be successfully grown in containers such as half barrels?

The reason I ask is that all of the sewer line work, which took out just about everything in our front yard way earlier this year, included my pretty "river of grape hyacinth."  This river crossed our front yard, with two slight bends in it, and also had river rock as borders.

I've been informed by the husband person that the grape hyacinth is not returning:  This was my design and my planting, based on one of our trips to Keukenhopf, NL.

So, I'm wondering if I can get these little guys to grow in a half barrel.  And, yes, we do have winter weather here.  Our backyard is partially covered directly near the house, so no snow or ice collection there.

(Some of the grape hyacinth remaining, just before they tore these out during the sewer debacle.)

Thanks so much for your help.

Grape Hyacinth - a bunch.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can grape hyacinth be successfully grown in containers such as half barrels?

@sfnative  Sure, you should be able to plant them as you would in the ground. They will grow just the same, but will not have the room to spread naturally. They also may need a bit more water in a container.  Many people grow bulbs and other plants in containers on patios and balconies successfully throughout the world. You'll be fine. (Sounds like a major project with the sewer. That's one of the things we all dread. Sorry to hear you've had to deal with it.) Have fun and enjoy your lovely spring flowers in 2019! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can grape hyacinth be successfully grown in containers such as half barrels?

@BirkiLady wrote:

@sfnative  Sure, you should be able to plant them as you would in the ground. They will grow just the same, but will not have the room to spread naturally. They also may need a bit more water in a container.  Many people grow bulbs and other plants in containers on patios and balconies successfully throughout the world. You'll be fine. (Sounds like a major project with the sewer. That's one of the things we all dread. Sorry to hear you've had to deal with it.) Have fun and enjoy your lovely spring flowers in 2019! 

@BirkiLady

Thanks so much for the info.  I've been to Europe enough times and seen larger bulb grown flowers blooming in containers, but not grape hyacinth, hence the question.  Now I'm excited to make the purchase, as yesterday, 8/15, was the day on many calendars to purchase bulbs for late winter to early spring blooming.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative  As an added bonus, I've recently read that containers are often planted "lasagna style." Meaning the largest bulbs on the bottom, then add more soil; medium size bulbs, add more soil; and then top with small bulbs, add soil. 

You'll have many weeks of spring flowers in one container! And, from what I understand, it should be a periennial planter. Talk to your nursery about the specifics. Makes sense; seems easy enough to give it a try. Have fun!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
Super Contributor

Hi

Everything @BirkiLadysays is true. If you want to grow them indoors, you need to chill the bulbs before you plan to allow them to sprout. (Unless the grower has prechilled them.)

Good luck  with your project!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Oh, man, what a shame! Your river of grape hyacinths was just beautiful.

When they got removed, did the bulbs get pulled out too? If so, they'll neverr come back and as I think someone else said, you'll have to start all over again.

I don't see why you can't now plant bulbs you still have in a container for the rest of the year, keep them good and chilled over the winter, and plant them out in your yard when they start to "wake up".

Good luck; you seem to have a really green thumb.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/grape-hyacinth/grape-hyacinth-in-containers.htm

@sfnative

@Lilysmom

Thanks so much for the link!  Really appreciated being able to read up on the subject.

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@sfnative  As an added bonus, I've recently read that containers are often planted "lasagna style." Meaning the largest bulbs on the bottom, then add more soil; medium size bulbs, add more soil; and then top with small bulbs, add soil. 

You'll have many weeks of spring flowers in one container! And, from what I understand, it should be a periennial planter. Talk to your nursery about the specifics. Makes sense; seems easy enough to give it a try. Have fun!

@BirkiLady

Yes, I read about lasagna stye a few years ago, but did not pursue.  Perhaps I will this year.  A great idea for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

@Fair Lady wrote:

Hi

Everything @BirkiLadysays is true. If you want to grow them indoors, you need to chill the bulbs before you plan to allow them to sprout. (Unless the grower has prechilled them.)

Good luck  with your project!

@Fair Lady

I've never grown bulbs of any kind indoors, so am not comfortable with that.  Additionally, my husband got rid of all of my bulbs from the front yard (sans the grape hyacincth which were lost in the sewer debacle) by digging them up and giving them away to neighbors because he didn't like the flowers and the "coverage."  If ever there was an insult....well, I'll just stop there.  Maybe I should go yank out his favorite dahlias.  Oh, if only I had the nerve.  LOL!