Trusted Contributor

Re: CHRISTMAS CACTUS

[ Edited ]

@kismet

What color are the flowers?

Trusted Contributor

@kismet wrote:

I'm undecided how large a pot should be for a christmas cactus.  I have two that I want to put in one larger pot.  One is about 12" high and just as wide, I transplanted this into a 6" pot 2 years from a 4".  I used african violet soil and it has taken off like crazy.  The other I got last year and it's about 6" high and 6"inches across.  I have to buy a new pot and not sure how large I should go.  I read you have to repot them every few years.  I did find a pot I love in an 8" and a 9.25".  Not sure which to get since I usuallly am more of an outside planter.   Don't get a lot of light because of evergreen trees but my north windows get the most light and it has done very well there.  

I would not recommend transplanting two Christmas cactus in one pot.  They would be happier in their own separate pots.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

I moved across the country a few years ago, and the ONE thing that I fretted over, was having to leave my massive Christmas cactus behind.

My mom had given me a small cutting from her plant, and after 20 years, it was balanced atop a pedestal which was set on top of a table, in order to accommodate the branches which still grazed the floor.

I did NOTHING to that plant but repot it once in awhile. It survived and flourished through benign neglect! Haha!

My advice would be to repot it into a large, but lightweight pot. Once those branches get woody, they can be fragile and easy to break off during the potting process.

A lightweight pot is easier to deal with than wrangling a heavy one.

BTW, I've no idea if this is true, but a woman once told me that for some reason, the very old Christmas cactuses grow the biggest.

I tend to believe that.

When my mom, born in 1921, was young mom, she'd gotten her cutting from a woman who'd received her cutting from an elderly grandmother, who'd received hers from her grandmother..

So, this Christmas cactus has been going strong since the early 1800s!

I took a cutting when I left, and so did my kids.  Smiley Very Happy

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

Keep in mind that the plant will grow - I have several, the largest of which is at least four feet in diamater and covered with blooms. It began with a 99 cent plant from a local grocery, and it's been with me for about 20 years. The roots are smaller, so I keep it in a pot that might be too small for most plants. I water it about once a week and feed it twice a year.  It has to come into the garage in the freezing  nights we've had lately, although people tell me that it wouldn't freeze.  Not taking any chances.  In full bloom it is a rare treasure.  Neighbors come in to see it and take pictures. Enjoy your plants.

@Perkup

I have two Christmas catus and one piece remaining of a third.  Would you share what you feed your plants and when you do it?  I live in IL, not far from St. Louis.  I know I cannot leave mine outside at this time of year, but would you care to share where you place yours outside-in shade, partial sun, etc?   

Thank you for your help.

Respected Contributor

They come in 4 colors Red, Pink, yellow and white. I live in WV, put them out, pot and all in May,just set them by the house, not in the ground,when it get chilly, close to freezing I bring them in and they start blooming imediately. I always keep them in a 6 inch pot, have never repotted them. Have had them for years. They don't need much care, they are a form of cacti, so be sparing with the water.

Valued Contributor

I, myself, wouldn't plant two cacti in one pot. ..I think there would be too much competition for moisture and nutrients..

I've had a  x-mas cactus for many years..it was a slip off my mom's plant....It has grown to a large size...I keep it in an East window...but North window is good, too...as they cannot stand harsh sunlight...

In addition, I would not go to a light-weight pot (unless it is not tapered)...as they tend to get really big and are quite top-heavy and could tip over with the slightest touch..this would cause breakage.. had that happen to me..so now my plant is in a heavy pot.

Even though the pot is heavy, you don't really tend to move them about that often, as they usually don't like to be moved, at least that is what I've had experience with..

When transplanting, I would only go 1-2 inches larger than the pot it's in, as they like to be a little root-bound..and I would continue to use the violet soil, as it causes increased drainage...

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Your one 6" plant is small, but I'm not sure why you want to combine two plants into one pot. JMO, but it would seem like the larger cactus would dominate the smaller one, and the smaller one might end up in a pot too big for it's size. I'd keep them in separate pots, but that's just me. I've had some of my Christmas cactus in the same pots for years - only one of them really needs to be repotted this year because the soil is getting compacted. They seem to do better when they're not disturbed much. I live in the Midwest and put them outdoors in the shade every summer - they seem to thrive in the heat and humidity and always bloom after a month or so when I bring them inside when the weather gets too cool at the end of September or early October. I don't think they're fussy plants - they just don't like to be messed with, and that includes frequent repotting and over watering!

Esteemed Contributor

@mustang66lady, I'm in the St. Louis area and have three Christmas cactus that bloom profusely when I bring them inside in the fall. I put them outdoors in the SHADE in early May when I know it won't get below 55 - 60 degrees at night. Water once a week. When I bring them inside in early October, I put them in a somewhat sunny room over winter and only water them when they're dry.

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1wrote:

@mustang66lady, I'm in the St. Louis area and have three Christmas cactus that bloom profusely when I bring them inside in the fall. I put them outdoors in the SHADE in early May when I know it won't get below 55 - 60 degrees at night. Water once a week. When I bring them inside in early October, I put them in a somewhat sunny room over winter and only water them when they're dry.

Nice to meet you @jannabelle1!

I am mostly a "lurker" on the Garden thread as these ladies know so much more than I.  I love learning from them!

Thank you for your input.  I love Christmas cactus and had never been around one or owned one before 3 years ago.  Do you fertilize your plants and if so, what do you use?  I purchased mine at the grocery store so not much help as far as how to handle these sweet plants.   I am easily distracted by shiny objects-these won my heart but I need to know more about how to care for them.  Living in the same basic area, you know the "weather" here.   Thank you for responding to my questions!

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady; you can fertilize the Christmas cactus when they are in bloom with a weekly weak solution of liquid plant food. When you water it weekly, add a few drops to the water. 

Hold off on fertilizing when not in bloom. The blooms last a long time on that plant.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼