Valued Contributor

I'm undecided how large a pot should be for a christmas cactus.  I have two that I want to put in one larger pot.  One is about 12" high and just as wide, I transplanted this into a 6" pot 2 years from a 4".  I used african violet soil and it has taken off like crazy.  The other I got last year and it's about 6" high and 6"inches across.  I have to buy a new pot and not sure how large I should go.  I read you have to repot them every few years.  I did find a pot I love in an 8" and a 9.25".  Not sure which to get since I usuallly am more of an outside planter.   Don't get a lot of light because of evergreen trees but my north windows get the most light and it has done very well there.  

Trusted Contributor

I love the Christmas Cactus plant, think they're just lovely. My problem is, I can grow nearly any/every type of plant, but not this one, sad to say! Major kudos to you & your's, they sound beautiful! Happy that you can get these pretty little guys to grow!

Honored Contributor

I find that they do best and bloom if kept in a pot that seems too small.  They like to be kept on the dry side and will rot if over-watered.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@kismet wrote:

I'm undecided how large a pot should be for a christmas cactus.  I have two that I want to put in one larger pot.  One is about 12" high and just as wide, I transplanted this into a 6" pot 2 years from a 4".  I used african violet soil and it has taken off like crazy.  The other I got last year and it's about 6" high and 6"inches across.  I have to buy a new pot and not sure how large I should go.  I read you have to repot them every few years.  I did find a pot I love in an 8" and a 9.25".  Not sure which to get since I usuallly am more of an outside planter.   Don't get a lot of light because of evergreen trees but my north windows get the most light and it has done very well there.  

I would probably go with the larger pot since the one is already in a six inch pot. You may to do a bit of squishing even then to get them both into the pot. I tend to overpot my plants and they grow to fill the space.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Keep in mind that the plant will grow - I have several, the largest of which is at least four feet in diamater and covered with blooms. It began with a 99 cent plant from a local grocery, and it's been with me for about 20 years. The roots are smaller, so I keep it in a pot that might be too small for most plants. I water it about once a week and feed it twice a year.  It has to come into the garage in the freezing  nights we've had lately, although people tell me that it wouldn't freeze.  Not taking any chances.  In full bloom it is a rare treasure.  Neighbors come in to see it and take pictures. Enjoy your plants.

Honored Contributor

The rule is repot to a larger pot no more than an 1” wider in diameter from the previous pot. If it’s put into too large a pot, it could get overwatered.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

The cactus I own was started from the one my paternal grandmother owned when she died nearly 50 years ago.   It is bushel basket size, and has not been repotted for 10-15 years.   From October to June it is in my basement, and from June to October it is in the corner of my front porch.   It blooms after Thanksgiving every year.

I refuse to do anything else to it other than maintain the same schedule I’ve stuck to for many years.  My cactus leaves are healthy and green, it blooms heartily, and therefore it is a happy plant.   I will not risk killing this plant with repotting just because it has outgrown the pot.   

Everyone I know overwaters their Christmas cactus.   

Valued Contributor

I wouldn't repot these if they were together in the same pot but wanted them together.  I check the water on the same day every week.  It works and keeps the greenery nice and firm.  Since the heat has been on I have to check it sooner but it's still good.  I can't put it outside where I live cause even if we have warm days we get cold nights.  It's been in the 20's here for some time so would never put it outside.  I have seen a lot of larger ones on Offerup and at a good price but I enjoy seeing it grow from small to large.  I've debated on putting it in a plastic pot vs. a ceramic pot.  Ceramic will be heavier but I think it will look prettier in it.  Pennington has some pretty ceramic pots.

I've seen the yellow cactus and thought they were very pretty but can't find them in this area.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

The rule is repot to a larger pot no more than an 1” wider in diameter from the previous pot. If it’s put into too large a pot, it could get overwatered.

It gets more challenging when you're potting two separate plants, each already in their own pot, into one pot, which is what the OP is doing. One's already in a six inch pot so to just repot that would likely need a jump to an eight inch pot, then adding a second plant takes a bit more room. The last time she repotted she used African Violet soil which is very well draining so overwatering is less of an issue.

I tend to prefer to go large when it comes to combining plants in one pot so there's less competition between the plants. Each plant will want its own turf (so to speak) and sometimes that can get messy with them competing against one another for nutrients and moisture. The bigger plant tends to win those fights.

We know one plant is already in a six inch pot, and we don't know how big a pot the second plant is in, but Christmas cacti typically retail in four inch pots, so a six inch pot and a four inch pot combined are going to be about ten inches which is why I said they may have to be a bit squished even in her larger sized pot. There will be excess growing room to the sides of the two plants, but they'll quickly fill that in with roots. 

If I was potting up two Christmas cacti myself (one in a six inch pot and one in a four inch pot,) I would probably use a twelve inch hanging basket and I dare say the plants would do fine. I might even try to wriggle in a third one in that case. But with just two plants and a limited selection of planters, I'd go with the larger pot.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for the tips, never knew that. I bet you have the greenest of thumbs, Kachina624! New Mexico is beautiful, lucky you! Have a wonderful new year & thx for your kind & helpful reply!