Esteemed Contributor

You may recall that we lost a large clump of 50' birch and half of a 50' maple in Dorian.

The storm caused a lot of damage locally and it was very difficult to hire someone for cleanup.  We hired someone and he was a no show.  Eventually we hired the fellow who cleared our lot when we built the house.  He cut the trees into firewood size and DH and I started cleanup.

We also did a property scan and edited some trees/shrubs that had overgrown their space.  What a difference.  It opened up the entire back yard.

The worker is coming back to fell the remaining half of the maple.  What a job the cleanup is.  We got all the brush removed and taken for Recyling.  We will move the wood today.  No need for a workout.  Beyond sore today.

it is almost impossible to hire help for cleanup so it is a good thing we are able to work ourselves.  We are trying to beat the clock for cleanup before significant snowfall.  We had our first snow Friday.  

These are before photos.  LM

5CFA7A98-00D3-41EB-867C-E2DE99EF63C1.jpeg

E1C8A105-5650-4E3D-AED4-C61C78B21206.jpeg

A610FA6C-FD89-4A43-9EFB-06EB86B16DC7.jpeg

51951F53-1EB2-4874-B828-25071C55BB3A.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom   Omigosh.......I was just sitting here complaining to myself about having to rake up the falling leaves....on a city-sized lot.

YOU will get a much higher seat in Heaven for taking care of Mother Nature's "mishap" !!!!!!!!    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi , I don't know about a place higher up but it is good to have the worst part of the cleanup over.  Today we hope to get the wood moved.  Big storm coming Tuesday, Wednesday.  Stew is waiting for dinner so no cooking today!

My Apple Watch activity app thinks I am awesome this week😂🤸🏿‍♀️👏.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Desertdi , I don't know about a place higher up but it is good to have the worst part of the cleanup over.  Today we hope to get the wood moved.  Big storm coming Tuesday, Wednesday.  Stew is waiting for dinner so no cooking today!

My Apple Watch activity app thinks I am awesome this week😂🤸🏿‍♀️👏.  LM

I have always enjoyed the pics of your beautiful property...sorry that bad storm did so much damage.I hope that spring will restore all of the beauty to reward your hard work

Esteemed Contributor

Trimming branches hanging by a thread where they can cause damage.  Way way up there. LM

C14B16D3-7899-424B-9AFF-A7AFD3F0D5D1.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: After Dorian...cleanup

[ Edited ]

Another 3 hours this morning for both DH and I.  Wood all removed and stacked.  Downed apples cleaned up.  The mess from the first round all done.  A blanket of leaves covers the area.  The view is completely opened up to the lake.  There are some beautiful large granite boulders hidden under the leaves.

I can see a project or two coming out of this area.  It is a lovely spot overlooking the lake.  Big storm tomorrow night into Tuesday and Wednesday.  LM

1D87D8D5-A85D-458F-AD5A-EEF26E168A07.jpeg

CA58D166-9680-407E-AC9D-EAF83098E4C3.jpeg

759B4EDF-4375-4FF0-B762-E9A0719BF51F.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I bet, in addition to being messy and hard work, this has been an expensive proposition for you too.  That's the downside to having property and beautiful gardens.  You can soon settle down for a long winter's nap.  Let it snow!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: After Dorian...cleanup

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 , since our hired crew bailed on us, the bill is pretty small.  That is the silver lining I guess.  I think we have enough existing shrubbery to fill in the blanks where necessary but I did promise myself a showy viburnum so a spring trip to the nursery is planned.

I just love being outside working.  I only wish I had the body of a twenty or thirty something year old.  These last few beautiful Fall days are like gold to me.  We are blessed that in our mid to late 60's we still have the energy and desire to do this stuff.  LM

16AEC385-4667-4A09-AF01-0D26DA581979.jpeg

This is a photo of my Yamaha Rhino side by side.  My best friend these last few weeks.  We stilll had to lug the wood to the road but this yard buddy made quick work of transporting the wood up to the wood stacks across from the garage doors.

I bought this about five years ago.  It had 197 kms on it.  The original owner used it to move wood from his shed to his house.  We don't do the ATV thing but use it around the yard for work.  I really bought it to go up and down the hill to the lake but it has been a great workhorse as well.  It now has 316 kms on it.  There is a long list of people who are hoping we will sell😄.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom.  You have a toy!  It's so cute too.  No wonder you like to play outside.  Does Lily ride in it?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 , Lily is 12 now so she doesn't do most vehicles that are high.  She is happy to pay along up and down to the lake under her own power.  No surprise, she loves the lake.  LM