Honored Contributor

Putting out heated feeders for hummingbirds tonight!

We currently have a juvie male that has been here for over a week now. Tonight the temps are going to be below freezing and for several hours...so there go the flowers in the gardens.

Thank goodness this little fella uses the feeders...some don't because they are not familiar with them.

DH and I were praying yesterday that he would have continued on his migration journey, but the weather didn't cooperate.

Honored Contributor

Re: Putting out heated feeders for hummingbirds tonight!

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise   Are heated feeders something you can buy?  I've never had a hummingbird stay after it got really cold, but I know some people have had hummingbirds stay over winter here.  I hope your little guy will make his way south soon.

Edited to say that I Googled it and see that you can buy them.  That's interesting.  I hope there aren't many hummingbirds that don't migrate.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Susan Louise   Are heated feeders something you can buy?  I've never had a hummingbird stay after it got really cold, but I know some people have had hummingbirds stay over winter here.  I hope your little guy will make his way south soon.

@NickNack  Yes...there are many varieties online.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Susan Louise   I was editing my post as you were replying.  I Googled it and found that you can buy them.  I do hope there aren't many hummingbirds that don't migrate.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I LOVE HUMANE PEOPLE -

YOU ROCK SUSAN LOUISE!!!!!!

ROCK!!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Susan Louise   I was editing my post as you were replying.  I Googled it and found that you can buy them.  I do hope there aren't many hummingbirds that don't migrate.

@NickNack  There aren't many and it's usually just a few that get held back due to weather. Some have a longer migration then others. For example, some migrate down from well within Canada by a few hundred miles from the US border...others from just areas north of us from as far west as above Washington and/or Montana states and east to about Minnesota and north. We are in eastern Nebraska.

Below is the Spring migration map for the Ruby-throated Hummingbird. It also gives a great perspective of the breeding range and how far many travel during the migration periods...

The particular map below I added an arrow that year when I submitted our sighting on 5/2 that Spring. HTH Smiley Happy

SpringMigration2016.jpg

Trusted Contributor

I've never heard of a heated bird feeder. I'm getting ready to put out my heated birdbath tomorrow.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@morganjen wrote:

I've never heard of a heated bird feeder. I'm getting ready to put out my heated birdbath tomorrow.

@morganjen  That's great! Smiley Happy

As for heated bird feeders, they are only for the hummingbirds to keep the sugar water from becoming popsicles.

We don't use a heated birdbath, but use a heater coil we put in the birdbath and run the extention cord to the house. We had to put that out tonight too.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I know I could find this online, but since others are interested I'm asking here.  Are the heated feeders heated with batteries or do they have to be plugged into the house electric power?  

Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic wrote:

Yes, I know I could find this online, but since others are interested I'm asking here.  Are the heated feeders heated with batteries or do they have to be plugged into the house electric power?  

Thanks! 

@this is my nic  Plugged in. Batteries are not reliable...especially in the cold.