Honored Contributor

Re: ARE THESE ROSES DEAD?

[ Edited ]

What @x Hedge  is talking about is possibly the nurse root putting out growth. It's hard to tell from the photos if they are own root or grafted. When a grafted plant dies, the root it's grafted to puts out new growth. The rose might change color. Most grafted roses are grafted to either fortuniana or Dr. Huey roses.

Ebb Tide, I once had -- not as deep purple as photos on internet show. It's more of a violet red. It got a lot of fungal disease here, so I sold it at a plant sale. Replaced it with a variety called Easter Basket which is pretty disease resistant. 

If you like purple colored roses, look at Kordes Plum Perfect. It's a plum/lavender color & is fragrant. Yes, it's disease resistant.

Another purple -- a lavender colored rose -- Kordes Poseidon -- it gets tall & wide. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom , they are grafted.  I buy from my local nursery.   They are from Weeks Nursery. 

If I decide to replace these, I'm really loving Neptune. 

I have one and the blooms are gorgeous and crazy fragrant.  This is rose that never falls off...it just stays until I deadhead.   A well packed bloom, that stays beautiful and all the petals stay put too.  I wont put Rose's in pots anymore.  They start out great, but eventually need transplanting.   I started out doing pots because I'm in steamy Florida and wasn't sure what would take and if I needed to move them,  pots make it easier.   Now, I've learned what takes, where,  and when..I like raised planters, bottomless,  best. I have a Neptune  in the ground, soil needs to be dressed.   I've got clay, and some sandy areas.  When hot rainy seasons come around,  the Rose's suffer...and so do I, trying to preserve them.   Alot of care!  Spring and fall seems best for Rose's here in Florida.   

Honored Contributor

Try putting mulch around those roses in the ground. It will keep the soil cooler for them. It also cuts back on weeds & maybe water requirements once they establish themselves. 

Poseidon is the better rose IMO. On Houzz Garden Web forum -- Roses, many rave about Poseidon over Neptune. 

I used to have grafted roses until I started to see graft failure. My 'The McCartney Rose' which I thought was own root was grafted. In the middle of summer I saw red roses among the pink ones & knew that I had to remove the plant. Grafted plants if they start to fail, eventually get taken over by the rose root that they are grafted upon. 

I had it removed & bought a fragrant own root,  same color pink rose called 'Beverly' from Heirloom Roses, a mailorder company I recommend. 'Beverly' is disease resistant & about 2' shorter in height than 'The McCartney Rose'. 

'Beverly' took about a year to establish & this will be the 3rd year in the ground. It's about 3' now. 

If you are going to pot up roses, try the mini ones. 'Rainbow's End' is a nice mini that performs best in the cooler parts of the growing season (Spring & Fall). It will get disease in the heat of the summer. 

Any roses with the 'Blaze' in the last part of their name are good minis but perform better in the cooler months. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Most of my roses are own root, but if I buy grafted, when I plant, I plant deep enough to cover the graft.