Respected Contributor

Are Any of Your Spring Bulbs Sprouting?

It has been so warm here in SE VA that some of the Spring bulbs are starting to sprout.  Today is cold but over the weekend it is supposed to climb into the 60's and maybe even low 70's-hopefully a cold spell later will not damage anything!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are Any of Your Spring Bulbs Sprouting?

Mine have been sprouting for several weeks. I'm south of Richmond. I was wondering the same thing this morning on my dog walk. The bulbs should be fine , but I noticed some shrubbery along my driveway has tiny pink flowers in bud. The cold has turned them brown before. 😕

Frequent Contributor

Daffodills are up about an inch above ground.  Silly things, I wish they would wait a little longer.  They get snowed on every year when blooming, but they bounce right back.

Esteemed Contributor

So far here in the Philadelphia area, I've only seen the snowdrops up and they are always early. It's supposed to be in the 60s this weekend so I hope it doesn't cause the trees to start popping out buds, that ruins them for when they should bloom.

Oh well time will tell and no doubt February and March will be cold, baby, cold.

Esteemed Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 Nothing happening here, north of Philly. The Winter Aconites are usually the first to show their heads in my beds, but they usually don't pop up until at least the middle of January, and they can take the coldest of Februaries, even while blooming. I sure hope it doesn't get as warm this weekend as predicted, because that usually sends out false signals to the other bulbs.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday, when leaving my health club in upstate NY, Iheard the familiar honking of Canada geese. I looked up and, sure enough, there were flocks of geese heading north. It was unsettling, to say the least.

Respected Contributor

I forgot to mention my Lenten roses are blooming too!

Honored Contributor

It has been warm here in the Seattle area.  The moss on my sidewalks and driveway is doing great and my daffodils are up about 1 inch.  They are predicting the high will be 20 for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday so thats not good!

Trusted Contributor

Here in the Mojave Desert (zone 9a) the bulbs always start coming up right after the new year.    The bloom goes on for quite some time since there are so many different kinds of bulbs in the various flower beds.  I don't usually plant tulips because the bulbs don't get a good freeze here so they don't do well.  The ground never freezes so winter is the best time to get out there and get your planting done.

Respected Contributor

Grape hyacynth.  Happens every year.  Tough little things.  Gotta love em.  at least the bunnies leave Them alone.