Respected Contributor

I re-potted these 2 rose bushes about 3-4 weeks ago in fresh potting soil.   I did have to prune them way down to the crown because there were brown canes, looking dead.   All my other Rose's that I pruned are already growing stems, and healthy green leaves, although they were not re-potted.   Should I wait ,or do these 2 look dead?  I'm in Florida, so we're already in spring climate.20200219_174020.jpgi

Respected Contributor

20200219_174020.jpg

Respected Contributor

What did the roots look like? Roses develop a pretty good root system if they have been thriving. They do better in the ground than in a pot.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

They look dead to me BUT, I would wait another 2 weeks before you get rid of them.... they might be in a deep “sleep” .... roses are very strong plants 🌱 

Respected Contributor

Sorry I don't know much about roses but that's a sweet ' Yellow dog"  in the background.  Yellow dogs Rule!   as for plants.  I had a rosebush once.  looked like it bit the dust but me being the softie that I am I had to give it  a chance.  I scraped the "bark?" and underneath was still green so I let it be.  It sprouted and grew but the flowers were a single flowered red flower whereas It used to be a "tea type "? butterscotch colour before. I was told it was the Rootstock that survived.  That rosebush grew for years. 

Respected Contributor
The roots looked ok...these are my only 2 in pots, for over 2 years, so time to repot. They were getting brown dying canes, so I cut way down. Maybe nothing left?? I agree, all my others are in ground, much better. No more potted roses.
Super Contributor

The one sure way to know if a woody plant is dead or alive is to  Take your fingernail, and scrape a small spot down thru the bark,  you will see green and life .  If not green on any part of the plant not green you have a dead plant.  

Respected Contributor

I don’t know anything about roses but I like the dog in the picture 🤗

Occasional Contributor

Scrape a little of the bark away - if its green underneath the plant is still alive.

Respected Contributor
Ok, first thing tomorrow I'll scrape the crown. I'll see if there's any green.