Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Wow, I guess I belong to the wrong club! You all feel $40 for a top and $50 for jeans is exorbitant in cost?? Really? That's CHEAP! When I was younger, I shopped more inexpensive, but now that I'm retired I prefer finer clothing and won't hesitate spending a bit more so it'll last longer in my wardrobe. You get what you pay for remember. 

See, for me, I wonder if the cost is worth it for how long I have left that I'll probably want to wear the item and how often.  But for around the house stuff, I only have to please me and the $$ is a big part of that.  Depends on what the clothing item is and it's purpose.  I don't require much....

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2- I'm just the opposite.  All those years I worked, I bought high quality, higher priced brands of suits and blouses.  Now that I'm retired, I'm more about comfort than "finer clothing."  I do check over every clothing item I buy to see how it's made, seaming, fabrics, buttons, zippers, etc.  Which means I don't buy clothing online because I want to see and feel my clothing before I buy it.  And yes, $40 + shipping for a t-shirt is exhorbitant for me these days.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I about ready to retire and I know it will feel strange to me to not buy work clothes any longer!  When I go to stores I keep gravitating toward all these types of clothing items because I have worked my whole life and that is primarily what I bought!  I have to stop myself --- and go --- wait a minute --- you can't buy that! What for? You have tons of clothes that you will probably never wear again.  Actually, having less money to spend and not getting to wear all my pretty things and jewelry all the time are the 2 thinngs that I will miss the most about not working!  

I have to start after the holidays going through my clothes (oh, my this will keep me occupied for a long while) and deciding what I keep and what I donate.  What clothing I can use for every day wear because I never really spent much money on at home clothing.  I have to re-think everything regarding my wardrobe!  So, I am not planning on buying many clothing items for awhile from the Q or anywhere else until I sort through a lot of things that I have.

I feel the same --- I don't feel the need to spend a lot of money on items that I will be wearing around the house when I am just doing chores --- cleaning, yard work,etc.  I mean -- I want to look nice and be comfortable both.  But I think items can be had for less money.  If I want something for a special occasion then I will spend more money.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Wow, I guess I belong to the wrong club! You all feel $40 for a top and $50 for jeans is exorbitant in cost?? Really? That's CHEAP! When I was younger, I shopped more inexpensive, but now that I'm retired I prefer finer clothing and won't hesitate spending a bit more so it'll last longer in my wardrobe. You get what you pay for remember. 

you hit the nail on the head with your post.  best post here. 

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@chrystaltree

Actually - yes.  My first PC (desk top) cost over $1200 and didn't do half as much as my current laptop which was less than $400, and it takes up next to no room on my desk.

--------------

@chrystaltree wrote:

Does anyone know of anything that has gone down, down, down in price over the years?

You are comparing apples and orange.  You can't compare a desk top to a laptop.

Honored Contributor

Yes. Walmart and Target carry similar fashion for less Money....free shipping, coupons  etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I about ready to retire and I know it will feel strange to me to not buy work clothes any longer!  When I go to stores I keep gravitating toward all these types of clothing items because I have worked my whole life and that is primarily what I bought!  I have to stop myself --- and go --- wait a minute --- you can't buy that! What for? You have tons of clothes that you will probably never wear again.  Actually, having less money to spend and not getting to wear all my pretty things and jewelry all the time are the 2 thinngs that I will miss the most about not working!  

I have to start after the holidays going through my clothes (oh, my this will keep me occupied for a long while) and deciding what I keep and what I donate.  What clothing I can use for every day wear because I never really spent much money on at home clothing.  I have to re-think everything regarding my wardrobe!  So, I am not planning on buying many clothing items for awhile from the Q or anywhere else until I sort through a lot of things that I have.

I feel the same --- I don't feel the need to spend a lot of money on items that I will be wearing around the house when I am just doing chores --- cleaning, yard work,etc.  I mean -- I want to look nice and be comfortable both.  But I think items can be had for less money.  If I want something for a special occasion then I will spend more money.  

I'm in the same situation..retired now..where will I wear all these items that I wore to work??? I have to stop buying clothes as well..! I have enough jeans and tops to wear around the house~

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

I have been retired for some years now, so certainly my needs are much less than when I was working.  However, when I am looking for around the house clothing, I find the Q’s prices are higher than I want to spend.  I shop the sales and look for petite sizes, which I often don’t find at QVC.

When I am shopping for more “investment” items, I shop at more expensive stores, and buy on sale.  I have gotten some very nice pieces that way.  I’ve always been a bargain shopper.

I do try to be mindful that we have a big mix of posters here - in varied ages, life circumstances, incomes, lifestyles, etc.  We have varying amounts of money to spend, or choose to spend, on our clothing and accessories, beauty products, etc.  If someone is on a more limited budget, or is conservative by choice in their spending, all I can say is that I have a few friends who spend less than me who always dress very nicely.

Honored Contributor

@emmysmom wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I'm in the same situation..retired now..where will I wear all these items that I wore to work??? I have to stop buying clothes as well..! I have enough jeans and tops to wear around the house~

@emmysmom

DH keeps saying -- get rid of them, get rid of them!  He doesn't understand and I don't expect him to -- how much time, money and energy I expended in picking out all of these lovelies!  I don't want to get rid of all of them but I realize I will not be able to wear the majority of them.  I have always loved having pretty clothing-- and loved fashion.  I find myself feeling sad that I won't be getting dressed up much any more.  But believe me, I am not sad that I don't have to go to work every day.  Hopefully, you and I will get things figured out ---a happy medium!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1and @emmysmom -- I'm right there with you!  Within a month of retiring, I bagged up my dressy work clothes and donated them to the Rescue Mission and Goodwill.  It actually felt *good* to (1) clean out my closets and (2) give my clothes to a good cause.  Freeing!   I kept a couple dressy outfits for special occasions, but for the most part, everything in my closets went except for my "weekend" wardrobe.   

One of the pieces I kept was a pair of Dialogue black slacks I bought from QVC ages ago.  They fit me perfectly and wear like iron!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt