Honored Contributor

Re: polyester, polyester, polyester.

Heaven forbid we have natural fibers and have to spend week-end hours at the ironing board.  Give me synthetics any day.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

Designers use it because customers demand it. I’m tired of black cotton T-shirts being gray after 3-4 washings.  Cotton is heavy and when it gets damp orsweaty in the summer it can be hot. Athletes do not wear cotton.

And people keep saying it over and over, but commenters on here ignore it, this is not your grandmothers’ polyester.  Polyester does breathe because it depends on how it is woven. The manufactures figured that out along time ago. If you dont like it, just don’t buy it. 

• I think you're generalizing. I think the best for summer is the newer lightweight blends, 60% cotton/ 40% poly,, 95% cotton/ 5% spandex, cotton/ modal, cotton/rayon etc.   I live in hot, humid S. Florida and I don't see people wearing 100% polyester in the summer.  It's plastic and does not breathe.  I don't buy my summer clothing here based on what athletes wear.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live 90% in cotton- Have a couple of poly ‘liquid knit’ tops because they don’t wrinkle.

But I strongly dislike the feel of poly in tops and leggings/pants/ jeans, and seldom buy any poly. 

I remove from the dryer when damp, lay it out, and no wrinkles...

It’s a shame fewer makers use cotton anymore- I am keeping all my pieces, may not be able to get them in the future...  We need more cotton please!!

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I just tuned into the Q and one of the main clothing lines is on for 2 hours.  Since I didn't see the entire show, I went on-line just to see what was shown.  Looks like non-stop polyester. Since I can't stand the stuff, I'm turning the channel.   Polyester is almost indestructible, and doesn't require ironing; that's about it for the plus factors.  I don't care what name is given, like Liquid Knit,  to make polyester sound like something it isn't.  The stuff is cheap which is why vendors use it. 

@this is my nic   Do you really know how much a mass market designer pays for his fabric....say polyester vs cotton?  I don't know how polyester could be cheap when it's basically a petroleum product, and oil sure isn't cheap.  As has been pointed out but ignored, poly fabric has been changed and improved since your grandmother wore it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Heaven forbid we have natural fibers and have to spend week-end hours at the ironing board.  Give me synthetics any day.

I can't imagine having to iron @Kachina624 .  I agree with both your posts.   Well said.  (I mean all 3 of your posts)

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624     EEEEEK.......Ironing in PHX?    I don't even use a hair dryer!    Everything is wash & wear.   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

There are plenty of other options to buy.  

Trusted Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

I live 90% in cotton- Have a couple of poly ‘liquid knit’ tops because they don’t wrinkle.

But I strongly dislike the feel of poly in tops and leggings/pants/ jeans, and seldom buy any poly. 

I remove from the dryer when damp, lay it out, and no wrinkles...

It’s a shame fewer makers use cotton anymore- I am keeping all my pieces, may not be able to get them in the future...  We need more cotton please!!

I can't stand the feel of polyester against my skin.  Something about it just makes my skin crawl. I can't quite describe it. Not exactly slick or slimy, but, something approaching that. 

It's, definitely, not for me. I feel exactly the same way about nylon.

Honored Contributor

I’m not wearing my grandmother’s polyester and I still find it too warm of a fabric for me. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Most of of my clothing is 100% cotton.  K can't remember the last time I ironed anything, and I will not wear wrinkled clothing...ever.

I actually like to iron, but don't have to unless it is a dressy blouse for special occasions.

I don't sweat in it and it doesn't get damp or twist out of shape.  Many pieces are 10 years old or older.  I even comfortably wear 3/4 length sleeves all summer long in out hot humid weather.

I was gifted a pair of polyester pj's that are supposed to be made from a breathable wicking fabric this past Christmas.  I wore them twice and had to peel them off in the middle of the night.  They are uncomfortably hot and I was soaking wet which woke me up.

I am a person who is always cold...polyester traps what little body heat I have.

I do wear lightweight poly jackets...they are super warm.

I guess we are all different.