Respected Contributor

Re: polyester, polyester, polyester.

I love polyester! Can be made to look and feel like silk. It’s so easy to care for. Doesn’t wrinkle. I guess it depends on how well it is made, maybe there is some terrible poly out there but the items I have are great. You know what I do hate? Rayon! It self destructs in the wash. The care labels are all lies. I try to avoid buying it as I’ve been burned so many times gently washing in cold water and finding it is now children’s size or has literally ripped apart.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I hate, hate, hate polyester.  No matter what it looks like, takes color like or wears like...it. It is still plastic.  

200 years from now, it will still pretty much look the same in the garbage dump, except it will be yellowed.

Polyester is also destroying our oceans.  Everythime it is washed, fibers break off and are  washed down the drains.  Our oceans are polluted and our sea life are being killed by it.

Maybe someday humans will wake up and stop destroying our planet.

I wish QVC would allow the designers to use natural fabrics like they used to.

THIS!!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Natural fibers are not so eco-friendly either.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Sure, but it's not a black and white issue.

There are gradations for all types of fibers of their resulting effects on the environment. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I don't mind poly for some things .... but I am fussy about what "kind" of poly it is.  I prefer woven poly fabrics vs knits.

After liquid knit is washed and dried a few times, it gets a little too "liquid" - entirely too limp / droopy.   

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Susan has made a fortune with polyester!

Somebody is buying it!

@Zhills i'm one of those people that's buying it and i'm proud to say it.  i have an extensive wardrobe of susan graver clothes and i get compliments all time on my clothes.  i could care less about that poster that doesn't like it.  to each their own.  

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Sure, but it's not a black and white issue.

There are gradations for all types of fibers of their resulting effects on the environment. 

@GingerPeach, that was exactly my point. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

They can call polyester anything they want, liquid knit, Caviar Crepe etc... But the bottom line is that it doesn't breathe! I absolutely cannot wear polyester during the warmer months and I don't know how anyone does
Valued Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I just tuned into the Q and one of the main clothing lines is on for 2 hours.  Since I didn't see the entire show, I went on-line just to see what was shown.  Looks like non-stop polyester. Since I can't stand the stuff, I'm turning the channel.   Polyester is almost indestructible, and doesn't require ironing; that's about it for the plus factors.  I don't care what name is given, like Liquid Knit,  to make polyester sound like something it isn't.  The stuff is cheap which is why vendors use it. 

I agree. I prefer NATURAL fibers.

Respected Contributor

Designers use it because customers demand it. I’m tired of black cotton T-shirts being gray after 3-4 washings.  Cotton is heavy and when it gets damp or sweaty in the summer it can be hot. Athletes do not wear cotton.

And people keep saying it over and over, but commenters on here ignore it, this is not your grandmothers’ polyester.  Polyester does breathe because it depends on how it is woven. The manufactures figured that out along time ago. If you dont like it, just don’t buy it.