Esteemed Contributor

Re: polyester, polyester, polyester.

So many opinions!    I want nothing but 100% cotton for my towels and sheets.  For clothing, I like a little bit of polyester in the blend.  For me, it's more how the fabric feels, how well the item is made, the color, etc.   

I don't own an iron and I never plan to buy one.  My days of wearing 100% cotton, linen, and silk are over.  Thank goodness!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Speaking of sheets, we almost always opted for 100 percent cotton. But once we slept on our current cotton/bamboo sheets, we never looked back.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

So many opinions!    I want nothing but 100% cotton for my towels and sheets.  For clothing, I like a little bit of polyester in the blend.  For me, it's more how the fabric feels, how well the item is made, the color, etc.   

I don't own an iron and I never plan to buy one.  My days of wearing 100% cotton, linen, and silk are over.  Thank goodness!

OMG you just made me remember the time I ordered "microfiber", aka polyester sheets.  The worst invention ever!  Super static-y, would never stay put with the quilt or comforter, sliding around all night and I would have to put the whole bed back togehter every morning.  Just terrible.  I will never make that mistake again. 

Respected Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@tototwo wrote:

OMG you just made me remember the time I ordered "microfiber", aka polyester sheets.  The worst invention ever!  Super static-y, would never stay put with the quilt or comforter, sliding around all night and I would have to put the whole bed back togehter every morning.  Just terrible.  I will never make that mistake again. 

I love my northern nights fleece. They are 100% polyester and are wonderfully breathable. In fact I use the top sheet as a blanket in the summer. I have thrown away all my flannel sheets that were 100% cotton. No comparison.

Valued Contributor

Love polyester.  I was a fashion snob and only wore cotton, silk and wool for a long time.  Some years ago I got rid of all of these clothes.  I now wear polyester and I am so happy to be freed of the maintenance of ironing those clothes!!! Happy happy happy. I still wear a few things that are cotton such as jean jackets or blends.

Valued Contributor

Also there are some vendors like Isaac that feature pima cotton.  Also quacker factory has a lot of cotton things too.

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

Fortunately, we do have choices when it comes to fabric that our clothing is made from.  I choose no polyester! Yes, I have tried the modern polyester and still do not care for it.  I will buy tablecloths made from this fabric, but not clothes.  

I don't know how old you are, @this is my nic , but some polyester clothing items in the 1980s did actually look like silk.  I know, I owned a couple.  I guess that's my way of saying I think some of the "old" polyester fabrics were actually nicer-looking and -feeling than some today.

It's all so individually based.  I find generalizations are problematic.  

On the other hand, if I'd known then what I know about polyester now, I would never have bought them.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.