Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: polyester, polyester, polyester.

There must be different grades of polyester because I have come across some really nice pieces at Nordstrom that are 100% polyester.  However, I purchased a top from Susan G. (her liquid knit) on sale -- under $20 to see what the fabric was like.  Well, I am very surprised women love this liquid knit.  It makes you sweat and the prices Susan is asking for it is a crime.   Remember the poly 2 piece leisure suits for men back in the day?  OMG!  Lime green, baby blue.  Oh, goodness.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I don't own any liquid knit but I do have the slinky version and I can wear a long-sleeved shirt during a Miami summer and it's surprisingly breathable! I've said it before and I'll say it again that polyester has come a long long way. I'm personally more bothered by all the spandex and elastic that's in everything! Yuck! sure it has its place but not everything needs to stretch twice its size!

Respected Contributor

I'm not a sun worshiper at all in the summer.  I go from my house to an air conditioned car.  My office has ac in the summer. I've never sweated once wearing Susan's liquid knit.  If I worked outside in the summer for 8 hours a day than I'd probably wear a different kind of material.  Wearing liquid knit from Susan fits my life style perfectly.  

Respected Contributor

I much prefer natural fibers, with the exception of my athletic gear. 90% of my golf and workout gear is synthetic fibers and I have to admit that it’s really nice stuff. I’ve stopped wearing cotton t-shirts and polos because they get very heavy when wet and they don’t dry quickly like the moisture wicking fibers in my Dri-fit shirts. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

It's the quality of the fabric be it polyester or cotton.  There are many grades of cotton.  Some good, some god awful.  It's a major factor in the cost.  Different grades of polyester.  I prefer blends of the fabric.  Fabrics like Llinen and silk start to crease and wrinkle just putting them on after ironing them.  It depends on the willilngness to care for fibers.

Regular Contributor

I used to feel lhis way, but have changed as I've aged.  In the early 80s I spent what was a fortune for me at the time to buy a 100% wool coat. It was beautiful, but heavy as h*ll.  Wearing it whle grocery shopping left me sore and exhausted (and I was in my mid-20s then).  Cotton shirts, slacks get gummy when wet and they're wrinkled messes if you can't hang them immediately (I cannot).   

I don't like every modern fabric, but they're improving all the time.  

As for liquid knit, I hated it at first, but it has improved over the years and I'm a fan now.  

Honored Contributor

I'm sure there are places where you can find natural fibers.

Respected Contributor

Fortunately, we do have choices when it comes to fabric that our clothing is made from.  I choose no polyester! Yes, I have tried the modern polyester and still do not care for it.  I will buy tablecloths made from this fabric, but not clothes.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

I have no idea what the cost of polyester is when purchased by the ton, mile, or whatever type of measurement is used when buying and selling it in large quantities. I only know a polyester dress, blouse, or drapes  are cheaper than those items made of silk.  I also know polyester sheets are less expensive than cotton sheets.   I therefore conclude polyester is cheap. 

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic   Silk has always been aluxury fiber but has become extremely expensive the past few years.  Those horrible microfiber sheets are a good example of qualities of fibers.  They are obviously the worst of the worse.  I don't think you can compare them to any cotton, even 180tc sheets.

I wish we had the figures so we could compare the cost of various fibers.  It would be very interesting.  I suppose that's a closely guarded secret.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment