Super Contributor

Re: clothing company unveils new sizes

Maybe and note the MAYBE it would be a good idea if the schools scrutinized the kids who are eating all these free meals a little more carefully.

Take all the applications of those kids who are overweight and VERIFY their eligibility which probably hasn't been done.

You have no idea how many lazy parents there are who will just teach their kids to lie and cheat and tell them to say they have no food.

These people then use what they save on food for junk food, cell phones, gas or other things. Additionally, they don't have to get up as early or wash as many dishes.

The same abuses go on at Food Banks and other places like churches that donate food. I am very selective when donating to these places because of all the fraud.

Honored Contributor

Yeah because the schools have time to do that.

Honored Contributor

On 6/9/2014 Clover29 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I bet sumo wrestlers are exempt from Japanese waistline regulations.

Sumos are revered over in Japan. They are the 'rock stars'...

Trusted Contributor

On 6/9/2014 Classique said:

Maybe and note the MAYBE it would be a good idea if the schools scrutinized the kids who are eating all these free meals a little more carefully.

Take all the applications of those kids who are overweight and VERIFY their eligibility which probably hasn't been done.

You have no idea how many lazy parents there are who will just teach their kids to lie and cheat and tell them to say they have no food.

These people then use what they save on food for junk food, cell phones, gas or other things. Additionally, they don't have to get up as early or wash as many dishes.

The same abuses go on at Food Banks and other places like churches that donate food. I am very selective when donating to these places because of all the fraud.

Agreed. I have seen it first hand. There are people out there that will sign up for anything free so that they have more money to spend on what they want. Unfortunately, they teach their cheating ways to their children. There is a lot of fraud going on these days....

Super Contributor

On 6/9/2014 traveler said:

I just read this on my msn home page from newser.

Japanese lawmakers were so concerned about weight gain that in 2009 they set maximum waistline sizes for citizens over 40: 33.5 inches for men and 35.4 inches for women.

Obviously, they aren't interested in providing clothing for their sumo wrestlers!

Valued Contributor

On 6/9/2014 Classique said:

To qualify for the free and reduced lunch/ breakfast, parents have to produce income statements (W2) with numbers of dependents. It is much like qualifying for food stamps/debit cards. Kids or parents can't just claim that they are poor. And many of our working poor are obese because cheap foods are very fattening, like Kraft mac and cheese, processed cheeses, pastas and hot dogs. Fresh fruits and fresh vegetables are pricey, especially when they are out of season. And many times, those dollar menus at McDonalds are all that kids may eat, and those items are full of calories.

I try not be judgmental when I see the epidemic of overweight people in our country, but it is sad when even teenagers have rolls of flab around the middle. Healthy does not mean anorexic, but it should mean not carrying around an extra 25 pounds at such a young age, because we know it is only going to get worse as they age.

Respected Contributor

Most people know if they're fat no matter what the label in their clothing says. The scale and my body fat ratio are the only two numbers that matter to me to determine if I'm overweight or not.

Honored Contributor

Dumb idea.