Honored Contributor

Re: Why do women wear their clothes so skin tight?

I always wonder about the specifics that are being discussed.  I like to see pictures.  In this thread there were only two, Peg Bundy and Marilyn Monroe.

I think fit can sometimes be specific to a type of garment and perhaps even for an occasion. 

I read some adorable comments by @Annabellethecat66 who told us about her multiple mirrors and shared her personal story (you are a good storyteller, annabellethe cat), and from @MaggieMack, who wears what she wants when she wants (go MaggieMack!).

I think we'd all agree that this person with the white top and jeans is wearinng her clothes too tight:

And here's a woman who wants to teach us about fit (at least for this particular outfit).  (Although to my eye the longer top is just as wearable as the other.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Now this, of course, is a man, but the general concept could be similar for a woman.  The images are supposed to show that the better-fitting outfit is the one on the right (the slimmer fit).  I happen to much prefer the one on the left and think that it looks more graceful and elegant.

Then again, maybe the idea wasn't to strive for elegance.

(Maybe the sweater on the left could be just a tiny bit more fitted, but not so much as the other that shows off his musculature.)

Interesting how personal goals and individual style come into all this:

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Good picture and I don't see much difference.  Maybe if she was standing in front of MY mirror I would.... (just kidding).

People can wear (and boy! do they) what they want.  One thing about younger people (not necessarily good, but it's out there) is that many of them are honest with each other on what looks good.

I go to Chipolte (my friend and I do) where there are 3 schools within walking vicinity.

I don't see many of these teenagers walking around with everything hanging out or very, very (I'm talking about a size 3 or 4X) wearing those tight, tight stretch tights.

I DO see females who are in their late 20's and so on coming in there with sights no one would believe.  I don't know but maybe it's because these younger kids' friends would tell them it looks awful?  I've always said there are two ways to say something.  I really believe that.  I don't think it's necessary to hurt people by being mean, but surely there is someone in their life who would tell them it's just not attractive.

I'm not talking about the person who has the fat hanging out the side, I'm talking about those ****** (sorry) tights and especially not wearing something long enough (you know what I mean).  I'm not the close police, what I know about clothes is zip even though I used to make mine, I can see things.

I don't know, I only know what I see.  

Respected Contributor

I think the picture with the woman wearing the shorter top looks better. Her legs look longer. I like the man on the right better. He has a great shape and obviously works out. The sweater on the right is too baggy, IMO
Valued Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

There's a big difference between a tailored, fitted garment and something which is small or too baggy saggy.

That was exactly my point.....it's a good fit that looks classy. NO one looks fabulous to me in skin tight clothing that pulls and strains.....sorry. I don't want to cover up my figure. I also don't want it to look like it's going to burst forth like a geyser.....I don't care how small you are......if your clothing is too tight, it looks like you couldn't afford to go for the proper fit.

Honored Contributor

Can someone please tell me what the "Peg Bundy complex" is?    I've never seen that show.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I always wonder about the specifics that are being discussed.  I like to see pictures.  In this thread there were only two, Peg Bundy and Marilyn Monroe.

I think fit can sometimes be specific to a type of garment and perhaps even for an occasion. 

I read some adorable comments by @Annabellethecat66 who told us about her multiple mirrors and shared her personal story (you are a good storyteller, annabellethe cat), and from @MaggieMack, who wears what she wants when she wants (go MaggieMack!).

I think we'd all agree that this person with the white top and jeans is wearinng her clothes too tight:

And here's a woman who wants to teach us about fit (at least for this particular outfit).  (Although to my eye the longer top is just as wearable as the other.)

Both the top & jeans are shorter in the second photo & it looks much better to me. But, at 5 foot 3, I am often wearing the jeans in the first photo. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

Tonight I was at Walmart picking up some canned cat food after my husband phoned me to buy some and when I left the store a young woman in front of me was wearing skin tight black yoga pants and you could see the VPL lines of her bikini panties, it looked like photo 2 far right that's earlier in this thread. I doubt she looked at the rear view in the mirror but it wasn't pretty!

I hate looking at that mess, and I also don't understand women who like to show their camel toe in front. YIKES.......just cover it up.

Honored Contributor

Just last week I talked about this very thing with one of my daughters.   I do not like the look created when women envelope themselves in spanxx, and then cover that layer with a form fitting clingy dress showing a lot of cleavage, and stretches tightly across their a$$, while they wobble on platform heels.   Regardless of the woman's size, I just don't like this look.   I absolutely think there are women who squeeze themselves into the smallest size they fell they can get away with, when sizing up would be more appropriate for a correct fit.   

QVC Customer Care