Honored Contributor

Re: Why are the terms frumpy, dumpy , matronly ...

I think every time a woman who is a little older has bad taste, then they stick a label on her, and then apply it to most older women. Oh, look at her -- she is so frumpy, matronly looking, etc. That is an insult because just because you are older does not necessarily mean that you have lost your sense of style. You have to amend in quite a few ways the way you dress, the styles you choose, etc., as many things you liked to wear in the past are just not age appropriate. However, just because you are not a teenager, or some young chick, does not mean that you are not tasteful, do not have good style and cannot look simply wonderful!!!

In fact, sometimes, it takes many years for a woman to really develop her particular sense of style and come into her own and develop her own special look.

Frumpiness, matronliness, etc., can apply to any age -- young or old.

Bad taste, poor taste, tackiness, etc. can definitely apply to the young, and not just the older person.

I personally don't believe it's fair to attach particular labels to people of a certain age.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Why is it seemingly not understood that the average woman simply does not give a...darn...what any given complete stranger thinks of them - appearance or otherwise, on a forum or in person. The emotionally mature dress to suit *themselves.* The immature and insecure may dress to receive the favorable opinion of others. I live my life, do what I do, and dress to my own personal satisfaction. Anything more is irrelevent to me.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

On 1/1/2015 moonchilde said:

Why is it seemingly not understood that the average woman simply does not give a...darn...what any given complete stranger thinks of them - appearance or otherwise, on a forum or in person. The emotionally mature dress to suit *themselves.* The immature and insecure may dress to receive the favorable opinion of others. I live my life, do what I do, and dress to my own personal satisfaction. Anything more is irrelevent to me.

Exactly!

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

Frumpy, dumpy, and lumpy rhyme, that's why it's an easy phrase to say.

OL or old lady became more popular with the late Charla Krupp's beauty book aimed at baby boomers -- "How Not To Look Old" which came out in 2008. When you say OL or "Old Lady", people know exactly what you mean.

New Contributor

On 12/29/2014 happy housewife said:

always used on this BB with the phrase old lady? I see lots of teens , tweens and 20's running around in PJs and worse around my resort area and believe me the terms frumpy, dumpy and matronly really apply to their look. And don't even mention those who have lots and lots of extra poundage running around town in bikinis - that is so very attractive.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I just turned 70 and my birthday cake said, '70 is the New 50!' In fact, that is a quote from one of my doctors. When I first went to his office his nurse commented on how she loved my outfit. I said, 'not bad for 70, eh?' She said, 'what???' I said I watch a lot of shows to keep on top of fashion and wear what I think is appropriate for my age.

Personally, I take the advice of my daughters and my 17 year old granddaughter. More often than not, my DGD will say, 'Grandma, you look so cute. Love the outfit!' She will also be the one to say, 'you're just wearing that in the house, right?' lol

Age is a state of mind. Unfortunately, certain parts of my body have not gotten the message to NOT age, but the wrinkles are at bay, the hair is still red with some blond highlights, I wear IT makeup and I'm just fine, thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/2/2015 Grannynanny said:
On 12/29/2014 happy housewife said:

always used on this BB with the phrase old lady? I see lots of teens , tweens and 20's running around in PJs and worse around my resort area and believe me the terms frumpy, dumpy and matronly really apply to their look. And don't even mention those who have lots and lots of extra poundage running around town in bikinis - that is so very attractive.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I just turned 70 and my birthday cake said, '70 is the New 50!' In fact, that is a quote from one of my doctors. When I first went to his office his nurse commented on how she loved my outfit. I said, 'not bad for 70, eh?' She said, 'what???' I said I watch a lot of shows to keep on top of fashion and wear what I think is appropriate for my age.

Personally, I take the advice of my daughters and my 17 year old granddaughter. More often than not, my DGD will say, 'Grandma, you look so cute. Love the outfit!' She will also be the one to say, 'you're just wearing that in the house, right?' lol

Age is a state of mind. Unfortunately, certain parts of my body have not gotten the message to NOT age, but the wrinkles are at bay, the hair is still red with some blond highlights, I wear IT makeup and I'm just fine, thank you.

Fits me to a T. I too am your age and of your mindset. I have given up worrying about the old lady posts. I find it rude and demeaning. With that said... any day of the week I can hold my own anywhere including long runs and dancing for hours. I wear what I like and am still getting compliments and turning heads.

And in the malls (if I go) I have seen the younger chronological age people wearing clothes in the they should look in a mirror before they venture out style{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Honored Contributor

On 1/1/2015 AngelPuppy1 said:

In fact, sometimes, it takes many years for a woman to really develop her particular sense of style and come into her own and develop her own special look.

Frumpiness, matronliness, etc., can apply to any age -- young or old.

Bad taste, poor taste, tackiness, etc. can definitely apply to the young, and not just the older person.

I personally don't believe it's fair to attach particular labels to people of a certain age.

Agree.

Honored Contributor

The emotionally mature dress to suit *themselves.* The immature and insecure may dress to receive the favorable opinion of others. I live my life, do what I do, and dress to my own personal satisfaction. Anything more is irrelevent to me.

I feel this way too.

Super Contributor

"She threw in the towel and gave up the illusion that she had any control, whatsoever, over what other people thought of her.
And the peace and quiet inside her head was delicious." - Queenisms™