Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who is unhappy with the insane QVC shipping rates

In addition to looking for free or reduced shipping I'm also shopping at sites that don't have such a restrictive time period for returns. This seems to be the next perk to watch; now that most have shipping deals, they have to one-up each other somehow. Seeing lots of open-ended return or 90 day return from all the majors. QVC, of course, lags behind the trend.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Frequent Contributor

I totally agree. I love the new Joan Rivers bee pins BUT, the price has gone up on them plus the S&H is atrocious. I had to pass on two really cute ones to add to my collection. I think they are taking advantage of her passing to stick it to her loyal fans. Over $54.00 for a little pin, no thanks. I'll just treasure the ones I have, thank you!!

Regular Contributor

On 11/27/2014 ILikeShade said:
On 11/26/2014 PKB said:
On 11/26/2014 Golfing Nancy said: Shipping rates and deceptive sales: just was watching the presentation for Ellen's set of four scented candles. Price $29.95 or so. shipping $9.00 or so. That is 1/3 of the price of the item!! So, plus tax, that's just around $45 for an item that they kept saying was under $30. Good grief.

It cost the same to ship a set of candles whether the price is $30 or $300......

Your comment is not even relevant to the convo. As a matter of fact it's incorrect because Qvc adds shipping and handling charges to the price before they compute the tax. So, no the set of candles will not cost the same to ship if the base price is the same. That extra money qvc is collecting, I'm sure is counted as revenue. When internet shopping first began no one else was doing that. I was working for a small business who sold merchandise from their website and brought it to their attention back then. They agreed with me that it was dishonest and they would never do it....to this day, they still don't collect tax on shipping and handling.

Amazing after all these years of conversations people still do not understand that charging tax just on the item or on the item plus shipping and handling IS STATE LAW. So it depends what the state you live in has decided. "Collecting" is the key, whatever company "collecting" taxes has to hand it all over to the state they "collected" it for.

Regular Contributor

On 12/7/2014 Mindy D said: I see an online trend with all the vendors making money from shipping, or giving free shipping and jacking up the item price. The worst offenders are Women Within, Romans, Jessica London. They have percent off "SALES" with the percent off and/ or the shipping changing everyday. I see retailers not showing the shipping charges until you checkout. I see Walmart online raising prices and making money from high shipping charges. It is known that online shoppers spend more for a purchase and the websites are taking advantage of this buying trend. I order a lot from everywhere, and I see the totals going up, up, up.

Computers have made it easy for retailers to change prices as often as they like. This is not new. I have bought from One Stop Plus companies for years and they have always played with the prices....even before the internet, you used to have to tell them the catalog code so they knew what price you would get. What is newer with them is that they are more recently offering low or free shipping, which almost never happened in the past. They also offer a service for an annual fee for 2.99 shipping on every order and more companies are doing things like this as well.

I have bought shoes at Sierra Trading Post and you have to be really careful with them because every single email link they send out has different prices...so irritating but they sometimes have shoe brands that are not highly discounted other places.

Honored Contributor

QVC has lost a lot of my money recently. I haven't bought anything in awhile, and I certainly have bought elsewhere. I'm not saving $2.12 on an intro price and paying $7.22 to ship. It's not happening.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

On 12/11/2014 GoodStuff said:
On 12/11/2014 shoekitty said:

Goodstuff.

ITA. I am an online shopper. Where years ago (1989-2001) 95% of my shopping was QVC. I live in a small town with limited choices. We do have the outlet center, but I don't really care for that. I shop online and rarely pay shipping! There are many choices out there, especially skin care and cosmetics that sell many places besides QVC. Every place I shop offers at least a 30 day money back option.

Some shipping fees I do not mind, but 8.50 for a mascara or eye pencil? QVC charges shipping by the EACH. Not flat rate like most. That is what I resent.

I totally agree. It's so easy to search products and compare prices online -- and so many places offer free shipping now, or low flat rates. I am really shocked that so many people continue to pay QVC's very high per item S&H rates. There aren't very many other places who have the nerve even to try anything like that! Unless you're just a die-hard habitual QVC shopper who wants to shop QVC "no matter what", its past time to shop around!

I, too, am shocked that people continue to pay their high s/h prices when they could find the same item for often a lower price (using a code) and free shipping.

One example is shoes. Shoes on other sites can often be 30% less due to discount codes and most offer free shipping...i.e. Shoe buy...onlineshoes, shoemall, etc.

We are paying for hosts' outrageous salaries.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

I quit buying because of shipping rates.

Saturday I went to the post office to drop an envelope off for a p o box there. They charged me $2.68 to walk back & place it in the box. It only cost me $3.22 to mail a box to California. No rhyme or reason.

Respected Contributor

sometimes when you add the shipping, it's only a few dollars less than the retail price they show. at that point, it's simply convenience to use the Q. I remember when there was a noticeable saving.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/15/2014 lavendar said:

sometimes when you add the shipping, it's only a few dollars less than the retail price they show. at that point, it's simply convenience to use the Q. I remember when there was a noticeable saving.

And you can now get the same or better convenience from dozens/hundreds of other sellers online. For less. With free S&H. It's a no-brainer for me.

Trusted Contributor

It's not just QVC. I was shocked today when I placed a small order on Amazon. Plus I did a lot of catalog gifts and they were all high. But the Amazon one really shocked me as the items were not large or heavy. I could have added another item to get the free shipping, but decided not to. I was in a hurry. Plus one of my items was shipping from a vendor and didn't qualify.