Valued Contributor

Re: Where do ladies buy those fancy hats?

Thank you Sunshine and Divine!!

Honored Contributor

I think the rich women have their hats custom made.  Some of those hats are bizarre.  There are hat shops in every city and places where you can get special occasion hats online.

Esteemed Contributor

@gulf coast girl

While living in San Diego, we received a wedding invitation from a couple getting married around the time of the Kentucky Derby.  Wearing hats was encouraged, which meant that the hat really had to tie into whatever dress or outfit you were wearing.  I had driven by a large store at least several hundred times that carried wigs and hats, so made a point to stop by.  Boy, did they have hats!  And, they were more traditional than anthing I would have seen at any high end store.  I had the most fantastic time being waited on by such friendly staff who treated me so kindly and walked away with a marvelous hat.  Should you still wish to make that purchase, check on hat stores frequented by the African-American community in your area, as the store which was so successful for me, was just such a store.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Amazon carries "derby hats"

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

@gulf coast girl I just want to also mention that August Hat Co. has some wonderful Derby style hats. You can find them at Macy's, Dillards, Bloomies, and Lord and Taylor.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Honored Contributor

@gulf coast girl

Here is a sampling from Dillard's-

August Hats-

August Hats Camellia Dress Hat

August Hats Hibiscus Wide-Brim Hat

August Hats Hibiscus Wide-Brim HatAugust Hats Gardenia Sinamay Dress HatAugust Hats Orchid Cloche Hat

Giovannio-

Giovannio Taffeta Large Brim Dress HatGiovannio Taffeta School Girl Dress Hat

Giovannio Faux-Horsehair Large-Brim Dress Hat

Trusted Contributor

NEIMAN MARCUS

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Respected Contributor

Check the website for Arizona Mail Order Company also named Old Pueblo Traders.  They have fancy hats in their catalog reasonalby priced.   I remember when we used to wear these hats to church - called them picture hats.  My mother was a milliner and made  hats. She had wooden head stands she used to hold the material when designilng the hats.  I had beautiful hats as a child and young woman.  Back when we dressed up for church, etc.  Miss those days!

Honored Contributor

There are still milliners around and this is their busy season due to the Derby.  They will custom make hats in addition to the ones they've made already for the Derby.

You really need to try on a hat.  Also some boutiques carry hats from milliners, just as they  carry some exclusive items from sole artists who are into fabric art (making clothing).  I know several miiliners whose hats are in boutiques.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought my latest, at a thrift store.

e bay has quite a big selection.

They get more expensive the closer to the race, it gets.

We have gone to quite a few Derby parties.

Love the mint juleps!

Jean