Valued Contributor

Where do ladies buy those fancy hats?

[ Edited ]

That they wear to the Kentucky Derby.

Honored Contributor

Re: Wear do ladies buy those fancy hats?

I am sure at Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Ave., etc. and private hat shops.  I love hats but now only wear caps and winter beanies now but still have one hat left that is over 15 years old still looking good.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Where do ladies buy those fancy hats?

[ Edited ]

Think they wear them, just for tradition. I'll have to Google that to get the best answer. I found "tradition from 1875, American and British Women wanted to wear their finest to the races including a hat.  Tradition is all not a requirement.

Doesn't say where they buy them. Probably anywhere and everywhere. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hats In The Belfry

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

In recent years, most Derby hats I've seen weren't very elegant.  They looked like joke hats or something from a costume shop.  The British wear nice hats - some for fun, most mostly artistic and fashionable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/royal-ascot/11688697/Royal-Ascot-2015-The-33-best-hats-...

Super Contributor

Hats are the last thing I would ever want to wear.  I just don't think they're me🤓

Some of of those Derby hats, and the British hats, to me, are beyond ridiculous.

Part of it, I know, is what we've grown up with and become accustomed to..  Definitely not a hat person😀👗

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not a hat person either, my head is rather small and all hats slip down past my eyes, LOL but this is for my Aunt Jean whom is going this year and is needing help, she really wants a hat to wear to look like she fits in. Thank you ladies.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

Hats In The Belfry

we used to have this hat shop close by, but they closed a while ago. they had a wonderful selection. you can also find gorgeous ones at churchderbyhats.com.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Think they wear them, just for tradition. I'll have to Google that to get the best answer. I found "tradition from 1875, American and British Women wanted to wear their finest to the races including a hat.  Tradition is all not a requirement.

Doesn't say where they buy them. Probably anywhere and everywhere. 

Think of the races at Ascot in England every year; the ladies still dress to the nines for that race-it's very social status.

I always think of the Ascot scene from 'My Fair Lady', which I loved.

Trusted Contributor

@gulf coast girlIf you go to Overstock and type in "women's hats" you'll find lots of hats appropriate for Derby.

Member Since 11/20/2008