Honored Contributor

Re: What type clothing to take for trip to Virginia mid October?

stevieb, thanks, that is what I was guessing, so glad to have that confirmed.

"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

Pack sweaters and jackets as the weather usually is cool/cold especially the nights--think we will have the heat on by then if that helps. Always check the weather for the upcoming week and that helps too.

Honored Contributor

RINGER, will do, thanks for the advice.

Honored Contributor

By all means see Williamsburg. That is, really, the home to so much of our early history. William and Mary College (the oldest college in the country, designed by ChristopherWren, where many of our founders and their families attended).

See some of the plantations and homes of our presidents. Shirley Plantation, about 400 years old; Mount Airy; Warsaw; Tappahannock; Marlbourne; Ampthill; Berkeley; Westover; Evelynton; the home and plantation of the 10th president, John Tyler (Sherwood Forest).

There are many places where battles were fought between American Indians (natives) and the new European Americans; Civil War battles. This is probably the most historic area in the country. You will see the historical St. James River.

The first Thanksgiving in America was held at Berkeley plantation. When we were there, you could only see the downstairs portion as there were residents upstairs. When we visited Sherwood Forest once, they were preparing for public TV shoot and only part of the house was available but it was worth the visit as we got to see all downstairs and hear the history of the home. This was the biggest presidential family at the time (of course the Kennedys are bigger but that is not immediate family as the President Tyler had two wives and was very prolific with each).

At Williamsburg, you can see many, many historical sites including the Governor's House, the Wythe house, the Wren building.

Others of interest are the first White House of the Confederacy in Richmond (I think the settled WHoC was in Montgomery, Al); St John Episcopal Church in Richmond, where Patrick Henry delivered that famous speech on "Give me liberty or give me death."

I loved that I could be in Williamsburg and feel the presence of Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and step back in a time when our country was beginning and yet it was in more turmoil than it is now and to see that it all turned out.

Oh, you could spend months there and never see it all.

The Steeplechase is October 25, if per chance you are interested or plan to attend.

ABOUT YOUR ORIGINAL QUESTION: I have found that slacks, a blouse and a sweater will do well throughout the day, starting with the sweater in the morning and putting it over your shoulders before noon until dark; if you are sightseeing, which you most likely weill wish to do, wear jeans, a long sleeve shirt over a short sleeve shell or top for early morning and evening but you may want to remove the long sleeve shirt and tie it around your waist during peak temperatures from around 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Of course, I recall one year that it snowed (unseasonably). Cool mornings, warm days (especially if you are walking and sightseeing) are usually the way it works. I believe October is the normally the dry (Indian summer) kind of weather.

Honored Contributor

name; thank you so much for the details in your post, I so want to see it all, lol, even though I know I don't have the time, but I think Williamsburg is on my list. Hoping for Indian Summer type weather, fingers crossed for it and not the snow.

Trusted Contributor

We moved near Richmond 6 years ago. I highly recommend taking either a Segway tour or a Richmond Trolley Tour. We took a Segway Tour last fall of Richmond Historical landmarks. They also offer other tours depending on your interests. We had so much fun on the segways. I had never been on one before and I was a bit nervous, but they give you time to practice on one before you head out on the tour. The website is RVA Segway Tour and RVA Trolley Tour. Have a great trip!
Honored Contributor

On 7/16/2014 Lori K said: We moved near Richmond 6 years ago. I highly recommend taking either a Segway tour or a Richmond Trolley Tour. We took a Segway Tour last fall of Richmond Historical landmarks. They also offer other tours depending on your interests. We had so much fun on the segways. I had never been on one before and I was a bit nervous, but they give you time to practice on one before you head out on the tour. The website is RVA Segway Tour and RVA Trolley Tour. Have a great trip!

Wow, that sounds fun. Thanks for the website. I will check it out. I've never been on a segway either. lol

Regular Contributor

You've gotten great advice from everyone abt wearing layers and bringing something somewhat summery as Richmond can get hot & steamy even in October. DH works in Richmond. He mega commutes there 2.5 hrs each way (long story) so we've stayed over in Richmond downtown many, many times. Pretty much saw the entire filming of Speilberg's film Lincoln, which was very cool. In addition to seeing the many sites I recommend having dinner in either the Shockoe Slip or Carytown areas. Lots of great restaurants. If you plan on heading out of Richmond at all my recommendation would be Williamsburg (East of Richmond) and UVA Grounds & Monticello (West of Richmond). Both are just over 1hr away.
Super Contributor

In the DC metro area it came be warm in October..

as for Richmond..it can be warmer there..I think

dress for mid-May because it could be 80 in Richmond

in October.

Occasional Contributor

My brother lives in the Richmond area. Went for a week's vacation last year the last week of September. It was in the 90's and humid most of the week. UGH!!! Hollywood cemetery in Richmond is very interesting. Legend's brewery has a great brown ale. Williamsburg is a must, but I think the Charlottesville area was the most beautiful we've visited in Virginia thus far. And as another poster mentioned, wineries-a plenty in the Charlottesville area.