Honored Contributor

What type clothing to take for trip to Virginia mid October?

I am thinking of taking a short vacation to the Richmond, Virginia area in mid to late October. What is the weather like, generally, during this time frame. I have never been in that area of our wonderful country and need advice on what apparel to bring along. I won't need anything too dressy, just nicer, casual clothes. TIA for any advice.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Re: What type clothing to take for trip to Virginia mid October?

Generally cool at night and could be anywhere during the day as this is a transition time there. We travel through Virginia mid Oct. every year stopping to visit friends for a couple days. I never know what to pack - one year it is cold , rainy and miserable and the next year it gets hot during the day. So now I pack jeans and capris and t shirts and a sweatshirt jacket and a raincoat.But it is always cool at night.

Respected Contributor

fall colors - layers since you could hit Indian summer or early fall temps.

Honored Contributor

By mid to late October, it will be cool in the mornings and evenings, with temps ranging from 50-70 during the day. You will still be comfortable in shorts and t-shirts in the middle of the day, but need sleeves and long pants in the early morning and evenings.

Contributor

I used to live in the "Fan District" of Richmond, VA. Long sleeves or light jacket at night.Lots to do in Richmond and 45 minutes away in any direction. Enjoy.

Respected Contributor

All you needed to do was to Google it-

<h2 class="report-heading">Location</h2>

This report describes the typical weather at the Chesterfield County Airport (Richmond, Virginia, United States) weather station over the course of an average October. It is based on the historical records from 2010 to 2013. Earlier records are either unavailable or unreliable.

Richmond, Virginia has a warm humid temperate climate with hot summers and no dry season. The area within 25 miles of this station is covered by forests (85%), built-up areas (8%), croplands (3%), and lakes and rivers (3%).

<ins class="adsbygoogle" style="height: 90px; display: inline-block; width: 728px;" data-ad-client="ca-pub-8241699811229889" data-ad-slot="1404353762" data-adsbygoogle-status="done"><ins style="height: 90px; position: relative; margin: 0px; display: inline-table; visibility: visible; width: 728px; background-color: transparent; padding: 0px;"> <ins id="aswift_2_anchor" style="height: 90px; position: relative; margin: 0px; display: block; visibility: visible; width: 728px; background-color: transparent; padding: 0px;"> <iframe id="aswift_2" style="position: absolute; left: 0px; top: 0px;" name="aswift_2" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" width="728" height="90"><ins class="adsbygoogle" style="height: 90px; display: inline-block; width: 728px;" data-ad-client="ca-pub-8241699811229889" data-ad-slot="1404353762" data-adsbygoogle-status="done"></ins></iframe></ins></ins></ins>
<h2 class="report-heading">Temperature</h2>

The month of October is characterized by very rapidly falling daily high temperatures, with daily highs ranging from 75°F to 60°F over the course of the month, exceeding 82°F or dropping below 53°Fonly one day in ten.

<h3 class="figure-heading">Daily High and Low Temperature in October</h3>
The daily average low (blue) and high (red) temperature with percentile bands (inner band from 25th to 75th percentile, outer band from 10th to 90th percentile).
Honored Contributor

Thank you all very much for your responses.

I know I can Google it, I thought someone who lived in the area could also tell me. If you didn't wish to, you did not have to respond Luvmycats, but I appreciate it.

"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

I live in Fredericksburg, VA about 60 miles north or Richmond. Bring layers to wear, a pair of shorts or crops (just in case it is very warm during the day), long pants, tops, jacket and some rain gear (raincoat and/or umbrella), don't forget comfortable shoes. Hope you have a great vacation. Welcome to beautiful Virginia.

Honored Contributor

definitely layers.....it could be quite warm still and it could be quite cool.....it really is an in between time weather-wise in the area.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
New Contributor

Greetings from Richmond Virginia!! Mid October is a beautiful time of year with the colors changing and fall weather. Usually 70's during the day and a little cooler at night. Be sure to check out the fall colors at the wineries around Thomas Jefferson's home in Monticello. Have a great time!!