Honored Contributor

Re: What to give for a bridal shower gift

Crystal pieces do not appeal to everyone.
Respected Contributor

On 1/2/2015 LipstickDiva said:

I'm not understanding why you would give someone an evening bag for a bridal shower. If this was a personal shower, that would be appropriate but I don't think it's appropriate for a bridal shower. Those should be household gifts for both the bride and the groom.

I guess it depends on her situation but when DH and I got married, we were young and just starting out. I was still in college and neither of us had ever lived on our own so we needed everything.

While some people went off the registry and got me crystal items like a pitcher, vase, bowl, etc., they weren't things I needed and honestly have barely been used. I appreciated the gifts and kept them but would rather have had things I registered for because at the time, a crystal vase wasn't practical for us.

A toaster or blender might not excite you but if they registered for it, it's something they want and need.

I don't think an evening bag is appropriate for a shower either.

I'm just wondering, isn't a bridal shower a personal shower? If not, what is a personal shower?

Honored Contributor

Personal shower gifts can be lingerie, bath products, candles- things like that. Something specifically for the bride
Contributor

Shower gifts aren't about what you like, they are about what the couple wants and needs to get set up in their new life together. Give them something on their registry or give them a gift card.

Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2015 lizzief said: I agree that even though you might not be crazy about the items on the registry, it's important to realize that they are what the bride picked - that's why people register, and respectfully, it's not about you. These are the items she NEEDS, which are more important when setting up a household than something that you WANT to give her. So find something on the register, and if you want, add a gift card or cash. I recently gave an electric griddle - not particularly exciting, but exactly what she wanted, and she was thrilled! For my own wedding, I remember I returned many things and exchanged them for additional sets of my china pattern and crystal. I didn't need twelve vases, as pretty as they were!

I agree with this. Also saying "everyone can use a lovely picture frame, Lenox, Waterford or another crystal, etc." - well not so much. Most never have any use for such items,

I say stick with the registry and it will be a wanted and needed gift and not something to have to stash away!!

Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2015 Iwantcoffee said:

I would buy something from the registry. It does not matter if I like it or not, it for the couple, not me. Household items may not be exciting, but they are necessary.

Exactly.

I am sorry if it sounds ungrateful, but I received several unwanted gifts for my bridal shower. While they may have been nice, they weren't on my registry, and neither of us wanted them and we never used them. We gave them away eventually.

Honored Contributor

Something from Adam & Eve.

Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2015 maxamit said:

I have been invited to the bridal shower of a good friends' daughter. I have browsed the on-line registry and just can't find anything that really excites me. Household items leave me a bit bored and was thinking of a gift of a more personal nature. I was shopping this past week at a high end department store and found this really beautiful crystal evening bag that I thought was spectacular (and unique). After getting it home, I debated with myself as to whether this is an appropriate shower gift. Would a bride use something like that at the reception for lip gloss etc? Obviously it could be used over again. Any opinions? Returning it is an option.

Give her something from the Registry that she wants. At the reception the last thing the bride needs is to worry about where her evening bag is.

I would rather my money is used for a gift that is wanted rather than forgotten or regifted.

Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2015 brii said:

I wouldn't purchase the bag or a clock.

If you don't want to get something from her registry, give her a gift card or cash.

Agree.

As much as we bang our heads against the wall trying to be creative, I think it's best to stick with the registry or give cash.

Super Contributor

Here's my thoughts:

1) Keep the lovely purse for yourself!

2) Sometimes in life, you don't always get what you want...sometimes you get what you need! Ignore the bridal registry and get her something you want to get her. Something that makes you happy to give. That is really what a gift is.

Do you cook or bake something you are well known for? Get her items for that recipe to include a tool like a rolling pin mixing bowl, baking dish and some of the ingredients as well as the recipe card.

Or are you a seamstress? Make her up a sewing box. I got one from my mother-in-law 45 years ago and I's still using it today.

Does the bride have a favorite restaurant? Get a gift card to that establishment.

Is there a good meat market in their hometown...give grilling tools and gift certificate to meat market.

Like wine? Do they like to entertain...really neat glasses and snacks.

I hate gift registries I think they are good place for lazy people and people with no imaginations to use.