Occasional Contributor

Re: What to give for a bridal shower gift

I thank everyone for their input, but in my book I'm still not thrilled with the bridal registry. Many of you are right in that many household items are chosen as necessities, but I still like to have a bit of fun with gift giving. I think I'll probably keep the bag for myself, really can't part with it (maybe carry it at the wedding). I'll get a gift card at the registered store and then shop for a small fun item of my choosing. Remember the "Wishing Well" they used to have at bridal showers? Haven't seen one of them in awhile.... that used to be the place for a fun little gift. Maybe I'm dating myself!

Honored Contributor

Have learned thru experience to stick with the list...remember it doesn't matter if the stuff on the registry excites us not, it excites the bride so that's the important thing. If everything on the registry has been purchased or the items are beyond your budget, buy a gift card in the amount you think is appropriate and put it in a nice card.....you can also purchase a gift card online within most registries
Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2015 maxamit said:

I thank everyone for their input, but in my book I'm still not thrilled with the bridal registry. Many of you are right in that many household items are chosen as necessities, but I still like to have a bit of fun with gift giving. I think I'll probably keep the bag for myself, really can't part with it (maybe carry it at the wedding). I'll get a gift card at the registered store and then shop for a small fun item of my choosing. Remember the "Wishing Well" they used to have at bridal showers? Haven't seen one of them in awhile.... that used to be the place for a fun little gift. Maybe I'm dating myself!

I attend many weddings and have never seen a wishing well....but there is usually a tree that checks are clipped onto the branches.
Contributor

On 1/2/2015 lulu2 said:
On 1/2/2015 colliegirls said:
On 1/2/2015 lulu2 said:

For a special bride-to-be, I usually give a piece of my own personal crystal or Belleek along with a gift card to the store where she's registered.

You give away your own crystal?? Stemware?

Not stemware, rather a vase, bowl, candlesticks. Over the years I've collected a lot of Waterford or Belleek. I only give something that is in pristine condition. I include a note saying why the piece was special to me and why I think the bride and groom would enjoy it in their home. Sometimes it's a piece the bride admired in my home, even as a little girl.

How thoughtful. I love this, lulu.
Trusted Contributor

I shop from her registry unless it is for a very close friend. Then I like to give something more personal - lingerie, something for the honeymoon, etc. I like the shower gift to be more for the bride - the wedding gift for the home.
Frequent Contributor

My daughter and niece were recently married and for Christmas requested a sewing basket with scissors, thread, and basic supplies. I passed this suggestion on to my mother who always loved to sew. So my daughter and 2 nieces received these for Christmas and were thrilled. The saleswoman at Joann Fabrics mentioned that she always gives this as a bridal shower gift and we agreed that it was a great idea. Everyone has some mending to do, even if they do not sew. And the bride will remember you each time she uses it!

Trusted Contributor

I think it's fine if people don't like to give gifts from registries and want to be creative and give gifts that they themselves love. Just be aware that fun, creative gift that you loved may very we'll end up as a regift, stored in the basement or worse yet, donated to Goodwill..
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/2/2015 Sunny1 said:

Shower gifts aren't about what you like, they are about what the couple wants and needs to get set up in their new life together. Give them something on their registry or give them a gift card.

I agree.

Or at the very least, look at the registry to get an idea of what they like and what their color scheme is. Then get something elsewhere that at least has a chance of being something they would want.

I think the bag a bride uses at her wedding is a very personal thing, and it's likely she chose a bag months ago if she's even planning to use one. (At my wedding, I didn't carry a bag at all.)

My cousin's china pattern was very high-end, but awful IMO. Up until then, I had never given anyone a gift that I didn't like myself. But I knew how much she loved it, so I bit the bullet, bought 2 serving pieces, and she was thrilled. And that's the point - For the recipients to love the gift, not the one who gives it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/2/2015 ceh said:

My daughter and niece were recently married and for Christmas requested a sewing basket with scissors, thread, and basic supplies. I passed this suggestion on to my mother who always loved to sew. So my daughter and 2 nieces received these for Christmas and were thrilled. The saleswoman at Joann Fabrics mentioned that she always gives this as a bridal shower gift and we agreed that it was a great idea. Everyone has some mending to do, even if they do not sew. And the bride will remember you each time she uses it!

That sounds really nice. For people who sew.

Personally, I don't. I don't sew or mend, or anything. So that gift would be wasted on me. I think things like this are fine to do if you're well-acquainted enough with the couple to know that it's something they would want. And the same goes for some of the suggestions posted earlier, such as a gift certificate to a meat market.

I like to buy something from the registry and then add something else to it. A cheeseboard given with a wheel of gouda & a bottle of wine (if I know they drink). Towels for the bathroom given with bubble bath in a color that matches/coordinates. Cookware given with high-quality pasta and a variety of sauces. A wok given with a beautiful hardcover wok cookbook and several sets of chopsticks. I also make cards and I feel that adds a personal touch too.

It's completely possible to buy from the registry and also be creative if that's what someone wants to do.