Honored Contributor

Re: What's happening to Chico's?

@namealreadytaken wrote:

I think they are overwrought with great clothing at White House Black Market and too few at Chico's.  I think their concentration is focused on youth, much like we see here at QVC with younger hosts appealing to the youth.  However, much of the clothing at Chico's is not suited to the group they are trying to attract, the middle- to mature-age women who have, in the past, been padding their bank accounts.  I think if one does not find Chico's alluring, write to their website.  I had to do that last week.  I saw some really beautiful pants in Chico's that I was about to purchase and mentioned to the manager they looked like a St. John knit to which she replied, "we don't stock that cheap JC Penney junk here."  I am not sure what her point was as there was no mention of JC Penney and JC Penney definitely does not sell St John pants.  I put the pants back and told her if I wished to be insulted, I would return.  Suffice it to say, I went to their website to let the PTB know how their middle management people are conducting business and how customers are being treated at the point of purchase.

@Nonametoday: l think that manager was uninformed, and she thought you were referring to St. Johns Bay, a JC Penney house brand. Regardless, it was unprofessional to say that to you.

@Vivian: l agree with you, OP. I also am not finding as many appealing clothes at Chico's as l used to. But for me, that's the case almost everywhere. It's a combination of several factors: styles that I don't find flattering, lower quality fabrics and workmanship, and higher prices.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

I guess I'm not alone in my disappointment with Chico's. My closet used to be filled with their clothes but not anymore. Whoever is in charge these days is making a big mistake in my opinion. However, Chico's is not alone in their quality decline and inconsistency. I just ordered a coat from Nordstrom's. As a petite, I know that for some incomprehensible reason, I have to go up a size. Manufacturers seem to think a petite woman who's a size 8 needs to buy a petite size 10, so that's what I did with the coat order. I opened the box and the first thing I noticed was that the color looked nothing like the online picture. Then I tried the coat on. I could hardly get my arm into it and could not come close to buttoning it. It was at least two sizes too small. Fortunately, Nordstrom's has free returns so I'll be on line at the post office this morning.

Honored Contributor

I want to add that l did order a jacket recently that l'm pleased with. It was priced well, at about $66 after 50% off, and an extra 5% off and free shipping for Passport members.image.jpeg

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Super Contributor

I notice that quality on a whole is going down everywhere.  I haven´t bought anything at Chicos or Talbots in a while because of this.  It might be because fashion is now ¨throw away¨ so they don´t see any reason to make good quality.  Good news for my wallet i guess.