Esteemed Contributor

What's happening to Chico's?

I used to buy most of my clothes at Chico's. Now, however, I'm finding fewer and fewer things to like. Their tops are long, shapeless, and usually overpriced for the quality, even with the discount coupons. The jackets are boxy. Except for jeans, all their other pants are made of synthetics. In other words, Chico's quality has declined in my opinion. Fortunately I have a small Talbot's store in my town and I've bought most of my new fall clothes there or on their website. I'm finally back at my Weight Watcher's goal weight so I treated myself to a new wardrobe. I thought I'd find more at Chico's but Talbot's had much prettier and much better quality clothes. I'm curious to know if others agree with my opinion of Chico's...and Talbot's.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What's happening to Chico's?

I totally agree with you, but for some different reasons.  That's the only place I used to shop, but the past couple of years I've been really disappointed.  Not just the shapelessness of the pieces, but the drab colors, or lack thereof.  I have to wear some color in order not to look all washed out, and their clothes just are not doing it for me anymore. 

Honored Contributor

I was never a big Chico's shopper.  I only bought from there occassionally.  The last thing I bought from them was a dress for a wedding last year.  I love the look of the dress and thought I'd wear it to work as well but unfortunately, I've only worn it for that wedding and never again.  Smiley Sad

I've not been in the store in over a year so I don't know what is going on but I have heard these complaints from a number of people and read it severa times on the board.

I thought I read they are under new ownership?

Valued Contributor

I only buy jeans there now, and an occasional top. The tops have no shape, and while I do have a shape, it doesn't hurt if the top accentuates it! I think it is a lot cheaper to make a boxy top with no darts than one with seams and darts, so that is what they do. Everything is very drapey and flowing, which may be stylish now, but is not necessarily going to be stylish in a year or two.

I also do not like the way that Chico's plays with their pricing. I have things on my wish list that change price just about daily. If there is a percentage off coupon, then the price of the item will jump up. If the coupon percentage drops, then the price of the item drops magically. Buying an item is like playing the stock market: do I buy it now, or will it be cheaper tomorrow? But if you wait too long, your size may sell out! Silly games.

Honored Contributor

@VivianTotally agree with your opinion on Chico's.  I used to buy a great deal from them, but the last few items turned out to be ultra costly because they did not wear well at all, went out of shape in the wash, etc. This, something that seemed to be on a great sale price was still overpriced.

Talbots-  almost never found a fit there and was not at all surprised when a few years back they started to close down their stores in the mall nearest me.  They had had a huge store - there are now three different, good-sized stores in the spaces they vacated.  I don't miss them.  As I said I didn't find good fit with them and then I just quite trying because they, too, went to cheaper fabrics and raised their prices.

The clothing retailers are really helping me winnow my wardrobe!  Already it's mid-October and I've purchased exactly one item in 2015 so far.  I know I have to shop at some point, but I just don't know where.  I do know I'm highly unlikely ever to buy lots and lots of pieces the way I did at one time.  That era is over for me.

Trusted Contributor

As with all models, the photos of the clothing in their catalogs and on-line look gorgeous.  Much the same as the models wearing clothes on Q do.  Get the articles home - nothing, not even close, to the way they look in the catalogs or on television.  Now, I know I'm not a model but the difference is stunning.

Bought one top - the metallic finish inside of the stripes wore off after two wearings where my arms met my chest and also across the stomach area.  Not a good look.  Top was not tight.

Bought another top - after one-half a season last year small holes in both arms.  I was very careful washing it and it was supposed to be washer/dryer safe.

Neithr of these tops were a good value.  Some very inexpensive summer tops worked out but that was just a couple.  I get their catalogs now and know nothing will look like the picture when it arrives.

Honored Contributor

I just loved the fake fringed suede  skirt they had earlier but not in my size.  I wish they would feature smaller sizes.  I like to look there, there is plenty of color

Super Contributor

ITA with you... I used to love going into the store and finding a lot of 'treasures' that were colorful, fun, trendy and flattering. Now it seems to me they are catering to a more 'mature' shopper and the styles / colors etc. are not as eye catching (to me) as they once were. I cannot find a thing in there anymore - to the point I just stopped looking. I'm not sure if they have a new person 'in charge' but their business model and target audience seems to have changed.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to buy from them also. Lately their clothes seem to be for the taller woman and very skinny. I went in there one day and their shirts with that shark bite hem  practically hung to my knees.  It look like I was wearing a nightgown.  I'm only 5'2 and it seems that unless you wear 3 inch stilettos nothing fits.  I don't want my shirts hanging down to my knees and super big. Their clothes have gotten very pricey and I don't like to play the coupon game. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the OP and most of the responses, with one difference...I never understood the appeal of Chicos!  I've been in their store maybe 3-4 times in the last few years and that's it...altho I used to shop their outlet more often.  But I just don't like their clothing and never did.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~