Esteemed Contributor

Wear a black Lace Dress to B. shower

I have a beautiful Issac M.  Lace dress that I would love to wear to my cousins daughters baby shower.  Not sure if it would be appropriate to wear black for a baby shower ??  So me say you shouldn't wear black to a wedding which I have done many times and gave seen many others wearing black as well .  I feel one should never wear white as that is competing with the bride.  It has been a long time since I've been to a baby shower and am thinking women may only wear color.

Respected Contributor

Re: Wear a black Lace Dress to B. shower

My 2 cents:  It's a happy, joyful time for the mother 2 B. Black isn't a joyful, happy color.

Frequent Contributor

I think it would be beautiful.  I have a black lace dress from Issac too and I get compliments everywhere I wear it,  I don't think any of those old rules apply anymore.  I think you would look dressed up and thats what you are trying to accomplish, so I would vote to wear it. 

Respected Contributor

I personally don’t see why you couldn’t wear black.  You could add some color if you wanted with jewelry, shoes and even a belt.  

Honored Contributor

Wear the dress !!!

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

I agree with @ahoymate.  I personally would find another color to wear and save the black lace for another event.  JMHO.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore

Well, there's black lace and then there's black lace.  It depends more on what effect the dress gives than whether it's black or not.

Does its style make you think of romantic evenings or of a summery afternoon?

You could wear it with light-colored shoes (not black), and fun accessories (like stork or baby bootie earrings).

If you wear it, you may still get funny looks or even comments about its being black, so be prepared but be confident and don't let petty thoughts by others detract from your support of the mother-to-be.

Image result for stork earrings for a baby shower

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I have a black lace Isaac dress too and I wear it everywhere. It’s quite dressy with pearls and pumps and very casual with some sandals and silver jewelry.

For a baby shower, I’d wear it with some silver ballet flats and a pink cardigan.
Honored Contributor

IMO a black lace dress is too formal for a baby shower.  I would dress more casually but definitely wear what you like and feel good in.

Honored Contributor

I think you might be way overdressed.  I bet most of the others will be in casual, jeans, shorts, etc.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)