Valued Contributor

Re: Wear a black Lace Dress to B. shower

Please "march to your own drummer" and wear what you feel good in.  I am promising you that if you walk in and feel good about yourself, no one will make any reference to your black dress to others unless they are very jealous.  

Valued Contributor

Just wanted to state that "dressing down" to some is not the same for all.   I never in my life wore jeans and tennis shoes in public.  Casual for me is a pair of pretty capris and a nice blouse.   I was raised wearing dresses and it is still my favorite way to dress.   I just attended a funeral of a very wealthy man and his children (that have MILLIONS of dollars) all had on slacks.  I was the only one at the funeral in a dress.  Just saying  "wear what you like and feel wonderful in"    

Esteemed Contributor

thank you ladies for your positive replies and suggestions for accessories!!!!😺.  I did plan to wear a strappy silver pair of heeled sandals ,  silver dangle earrings , silver Judith Ripka cuff and silver clutch.   I will be dressed up , but it's all in the attitude right ?!!!😉   Oh and I have worn the dress before on 2 other occasions and got many compliments!  It isnt my first time wearing .   I wasn't looking for somewhere to wear the dress 😼

thanks again ,  appreciate the replies😀

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Kitty Galore

Well, there's black lace and then there's black lace.  It depends more on what effect the dress gives than whether it's black or not.

Does its style make you think of romantic evenings or of a summery afternoon?

You could wear it with light-colored shoes (not black), and fun accessories (like stork or baby bootie earrings).

If you wear it, you may still get funny looks or even comments about its being black, so be prepared but be confident and don't let petty thoughts by others detract from your support of the mother-to-be.

Image result for stork earrings for a baby shower

Love the earrings  !!!!  😀

Respected Contributor

Go for it wear what you feel good in - enjoy.

Honored Contributor

For me, I would not wear black to a baby shower but I haven’t seen the dress plus pretty much anything goes these days. 

IMO traditions as I knew them really don’t exist anymore just like in mom’s era and generations before. And they will change again by the next generation.

Dont worry about what others may think or say as long as you are happy with yourself. More than likely you’re going to be among family, friends, acquaintances so go for it. Have a great time.

Esteemed Contributor

I have to say i wouldn't wear black to a baby shower...and that is coming from a person who wears black ALOT...haha...what i did for my daughters baby shower and others is wore navy blue.....it worked well for me.  Maybe that dress comes in navy??  if so i think it would be a lovely choice..

Honored Contributor

I would wear the black dress, but accessorize it was  colorful shoes and scarf. Those old taboos of dressing are just that, old.

Honored Contributor

Umm no, never wear black especially to a baby shower and never to a wedding!! 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Sure why not?

Black and lace, some colorful strappy flat sandals or flats, and keeping the jewelry to a minimum -perhaps a hoop and a cuff. Lace does not always come off as dressy. And, as for black,  well nothing morbid about it or too dressy either, Black is everywhere and in all forms of fashion.

If people can wear black to a wedding, why not a shower?

I wore a above the knee length black skirt and black based print top for my daughters baby shower - simple black flats and silver jewelry. Looked good and fit in just fine and dandy. There were all different types of outfits. Everyone these days wears what they like - no set rules. At least not any that I know of...

-Texas Hill Country-