Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT? Dennis Basso Jacket

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Just an observation, but another example of very similar designs.  It's getting to the point that if I like a Dennis Basso or Colleen Lopez jacket, I better check the other one to compare and see which one I like the best.

Dennis Basso (A343928)

Basso embellished fur.jpg

Colleen Lopez (624-060)

Lopez embellished fur.jpg

IMO this jacket by Colleen looks uber cheap.  I saw it presented on air and my first thought was the faux fur looked extremely faux and extremely cheap.  It almost looks like the faux fur of the 70's that was somewhat crunchy.

I read a couple of reviews on the CL jacket and they said the faux fur was cheap.  

Honored Contributor

@ILTHInstead of "cheap knock-offs," perhaps you paid thru the nose for a jacket that could be easily reproduced as a great jacket for so much less money.

I wouldn't even had written this except for the cheap knock-off comment when you knew others liked, and bought the faux version.  

Enjoy your jacket.

@Caaareful Shopper, what has me confused is BlankNYC isn't an expensive line and what I've seen in Nordstrom is all faux leather.  The version of this jacket I found on-line is in fact faux leather.   

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I don't think anyone is copying; they are "interpreting" how they see the look and creating a new design in that image.

I mean, come on, how many vendors have copied the CHANEL jacket design, the CHANEL quilted bag (both zipper and flap) and MANY other looks. That's what they do..they take something and recreate it but it's never truly original.

@SahmIam  You make a good point.  So many designers do their version of everybody else's designs.  That's the industry.  However, Iit's still jarring to me to hear one touting theirs as original.  But I am seeing more & more how prevalent it is. 

Even more surprising to me when I see it among QVC and HSN.  I mean, it's not like it's QVC and Chanel.

Esteemed Contributor

Just an observation, but another example of very similar designs.  It's getting to the point that if I like a Dennis Basso or Colleen Lopez jacket, I better check the other one to compare and see which one I like the best.

Dennis Basso (A343928)

Basso embellished fur.jpg

Colleen Lopez (624-060)

Lopez embellished fur.jpg

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

I prefer DB jacket because it's longer and covers the behind when it's cold.  I don't like the jewels on it at all.

Honored Contributor

speaking of knock offs:

FP henley 2.jpg

Free People

Oso fp.jpg

Oso Casual

Unfortunately the buttons don't work on the Oso and I didn't like the colors offered but talk about identical!!!!

Honored Contributor

I’ll see something in a store, and in a catalogue, or on the shopping channels, and they all look pretty similar in style and design to me. Part of that is the industry trying to capitalize on certain trends. How many truly original and wearable ideas are out there in fashion, anyway? 

If I buy something I like and was willing to pay the price, I don’t really get upset if I see something similar. I also do not hesitate to wear something I like just because another version exists. I wear what I like whether it be “original and pricey” or a “less pricey knock off”. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma

I feel basically the same way.

I might have picked up the Oso version, I already have an FP, if the buttons were operational and they'd done it more colors! Especially now that it's down to 25.49! (the FP is still 40 on clearance) I've always been pleased with Oso's quality..

But what does rub me the wrong way is the rather patronizing 'I have the original but I produced this inexpensive imitation for the rest of you' business model....

Honored Contributor

Designers tend to do that.  Look at all the faux fur coats out this year so every designer is copying from each other?  That is fashion.  Designers take ideas from years past and tweet them into their own.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this - it's been happening always. 

The entire G.I.L.I. line was based on the idea of QVC copying designs owned or seen by Lisa Robertson - and now Jill Martin. A lot of designers have accepted the fact that they are going to be knocked off to the extent that they've turned it to their advantage and proactively knock themselves off by having multiple brands - a high fashion line and a more moderately priced line. And some brands are all owned by the same company and share designs between the labels. 

Colleen Lopez isn't a fashion designer, so she had to enlist a company to help her out. It's possible she even works with the same company Basso does for his less expensive QVC line.