Respected Contributor

Upcoming cruise packing

[ Edited ]

July 8-16. Eastern Caribbean. Have read many articles on what to take. Thought I'd ask actual people this question- will I need a jacket or a hoodie? It's going to be hot. I hate to waste luggage space if that's something I won't really need ??

Harmonize the World
Trusted Contributor

It's been years since we took a Caribbean cruise. However, I do recommend a light sweater. The dining area and other parts of the ship have the air conditioner cranking. After being in the heat and walking into an air conditioned room gives you a chill. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Upcoming cruise packing

[ Edited ]

I agree with cjm61 .  It's a good idea to bring a light jacket, hoodie or cardigan of some kind.  You might regret it if you don't. 

I understand about the limited luggage space as I have a tendency to over pack!

ETA: Enjoy your cruise!  

Years ago when I went on some cruises (before Covid) I used to go over to Cruise critic dot com.  They will have a lot of information about each individual cruise....you might even meet some people who will be on yours if you want to.

Honored Contributor

I would say no jacket or hoodie needed.  I did the Western Caribbean in February and never needed one.  It's going to be hotter than hades and very humid.  Take the coolest clothing you own, like shorts and shifts, sunscreen.  If you don't wear shorts, buy some Bermudas and wear them anyway.  You won't be sorry.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Upcoming cruise packing

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother 

I always take a light weight cardigan or jacket on any vacation. Regardless of the heat and humidity outside, it's always colder inside hotels, museums, restaurants, etc. 

Have a Wonderful Trip! 

Respected Contributor

Definitely take a hoodie, cardigan, blazer or light jacket.  Even a wrap or shawl, ruana.

In addition to the AC being cold on the ship in the dining room it'll be cool on deck in the evening.  Enjoy your cruise!

Frequent Contributor

I also recommend a light sweater or hoodie.  The dining rooms can be cooler and the theater.  The place you will need it the most is on the ship at night.  The ship is on water and on the deck, there is a cool breeze as the ship cruises.  We were on a Western Caribbean cruise last year on DCL and RCCL a few years ago.

Respected Contributor

It doesn't hurt to take a cheap light plastic poncho either in case of rain while you're on an excursion/tour.  One you can fold up and carry with you in your bag.

Respected Contributor

There's a big difference between a light cardigan, a hoodie and a jacket. A light cardigan is enough and doesn't take up space.

I've been on three summer Caribbean cruises and never once did the outside air cool at night. 

Respected Contributor

Ok so a light jacket or cardigan. I plan to pack a couple of Susan Graver liquid knit shrugs to put over my tops or dresses in cranked up AC. Maybe one of my denim jackets for being on deck at night 

Thanks for all comments and suggestions.

This is the mother daughter cruise postponed from last July, I got Covid four days before sailing. 🥺 My daughter is treating me. Also joining us are her best friend and her mom. 
I shared with them the State Department's new Level 2 travel advisory for the Dominican Republic- we have a group excursion there. The thirtysomethings are not the least bit concerned. The other mom and I are a little nervous about it. 

Harmonize the World