Honored Contributor

Those huge check shirts and jackets

[ Edited ]

I mean the ones with the big checks.  They are all over QVC lines, both shirts and jackets.  So if you are a 1X would these checked tops make you look smaller in comparison to the checks, or bigger because the checks are big?  I'm asking for a friend, wink.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Those huge check shirts and jackets

Look at the  models . Did they have a size 12 & up model the shirt/jacket ? That may help you .

Honored Contributor

The bigger the design, the larger the wearer is going to appear to be.  They are churning out a lit of very unflattering fashions this season.

I saw the Anybody rep, Amal, this morning who is said to be quite small.  She was wearing a large black and white plaid and looked like the broad side of a barn.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm seeing them in my local stores and on other retailers' websites too. Personally, I prefer a more traditional plaid instead of the large Buffalo check designs.

I've always heard larger prints make you look larger, but I've also heard stylists say the size and scale of the print should be similar to your body's scale and size. My personal preference is small to medium scale prints. 

All that really matters is if you like it, wear it. 

Respected Contributor

@wilma wrote:

I'm seeing them in my local stores and on other retailers' websites too. Personally, I prefer a more traditional plaid instead of the large Buffalo check designs.

I've always heard larger prints make you look larger, but I've also heard stylists say the size and scale of the print should be similar to your body's scale and size. My personal preference is small to medium scale prints. 

All that really matters is if you like it, wear it. 

You are absolutely right—they are popular with lots of retailers. QVC is simply selling a classic fall/winter pattern. For those who don't like it, I am certain that a further look will reveal other options—there's something out there for everyone.

Respected Contributor

To make matters worse the material used with these large checks is often very thick sherpa type material.  A few weeks ago Courtney and Jane were both wearing/featuring huge lumberjack type shirt jackets - they both looked like the Michelin Man. 

I do like traditional plaid and traditional buffalo check but not what they've been featureing lately.

Respected Contributor

Not for me.  Waiting patiently for the plaid/ check trend to end. I don't intend on investing in that or high-rise jeans which go to up my rib cage-

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Not for me.  Waiting patiently for the plaid/ check trend to end. I don't intend on investing in that or high-rise jeans which go to up my rib cage-

Plaids and checks are a classic.  

Esteemed Contributor

totally agree @Kachina624 Over the years I have mostly figured out what does and does not work for my body type. Big checks/plaids (or the duster with the huge polka dots that Shawn and Courtney were showing last night) are a no for me. 

I like clothes, it's fun to try new things but the oversized checks are not for me.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's an epidemic of Buffalo plaids !  I do like a moderate Buffalo plaid and had a red coat back in the 1970's that was Buffalo plaid , but the really big lumberjack style is not for me .  Buffalo plaid is an over kill as  was all the Animal print .

I buy what I like and buy what I think looks good on me

As far as prints , these are the most frequent over the years,  florals, & toiles ,  some style of check including houndstooth ,  Animal print  and rare geometrics,