Esteemed Contributor

Re: Those huge check shirts and jackets

I do not look good in buffalo plaid. Bought a D & C buffalo plaid jacket last year and it got thumbs down from my family (husband, sons, dils). They actually laughed and asked what I was thinking when I ordered it. I was thinking I like the color is what I was thinking. Smiley Happy 

It did not stay in my house long. I think I'm just not tall enough to carry off such a bold design. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

I saw a couple of work men wearing them the other day on a cold morning.  I think I'll skip it.

Honored Contributor

For me the check design has to be a certain size and proportional to my size. Otherwise it looks off no matter if I'm wearing the correct size or not.

Super Contributor

It's a lumberjack look. Don't do it. Those big plaid jackets don't look good on anyone IMO

Respected Contributor

Agree with you @curlygirl13 , I don't think plaid/ checks is flattering, or classic. They (fashion industry) constantly changes the trends to make us spend, not that it's necessarily a "good" look. Just my opinion, not for me.

Honored Contributor

@curlygirl13 wrote:

It's a lumberjack look. Don't do it. Those big plaid jackets don't look good on anyone IMO

Ralph Lauren has them in his fall/winter collection. Buffalo plaid shirts are just a variation on plaid shirts. Sort of a fresh take on a plaid shirt.

All of the models wearing them on his website look good.

Respected Contributor

Don't know about if it makes you look bigger....but I'm just so over Buffalo check anything at this point. Was big a few years ago, and like everything, it's beat. to. deatttth... in the market, and definitely on the good ole, if it sells once-let's sell it 1000 times-QVC.

Ditto camouflage....I was never into it, (save it for the military), but so beyond over it now.

Please, should go without saying...if anyone here loves both those, great, no judgement, enjoy!

I just wish I'd see something I loved that was new!

The churning and burning out of the same ole same ole...sherrrrrpa, boxy, shapeless box tops, high/lows, smile hems and same type prints.

I shop around too....some cute things elsewhere at least, sometimes...but a lot has gotten that same ole generic cheap look everywhere. 

Even CCBure' who's line I liked to begin with...has gotten Q-afied...looks generic and overpriced now lately. I've bought from her the first year...nothing lately. Cheap corners cut, like on that velvet dress from last night. 

Ok, I know I've gone way beyond the original topic....just venting I guess.

I think if I was a larger size I wouldn't do a big Buffalo check anything.

It was cute, like one piece in your wardrobe, once...for fall...like 3 years ago. But that was enough. For me. 

Honored Contributor

I'm a 1x but I never bought into the idea that checks or stripes or prints can make me look bigger. I don't like those huge checks but if I wore one, I'd look like a 1x in big checks.

Respected Contributor

@curlygirl13 @On the news this am was a little girl about 5ish. She had on a black and white plaid shirt with leggings and her patent boots! Now she was rocking the look! If that was me...not so much!

Honored Contributor

I'd look like Hoss Cartwright. LOL