Respected Contributor

Re: The Project: Curating MacDuff's Closet...

@MacDUFF wrote:

Oh look!   Here's an unusual, warm-looking sweater in a pretty color for winter.   And it looks so cute with Grandpa's golf pants.   Egads!!

Tory Burch Elyse Lambswool Pullover

@MacDUFF It also looks great on top of those NFL shoulder pads too!! LOL Very flattering and balancing for those who carry all their weight in their lower half. 🙄

Trusted Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

Cherry...no hurt feelings at all.   Trust me when I say I'm trying to find tops in colors other than black and grey...thank goodness at least I can wear those colors!    I wonder if it's the black bootcut jean that makes it look masculine...I tend to think of bootcut as being more masculine, don't ask me why lol.   We'll see because I have 2 other outfits (one with a skirt) that I thought this top might work with...both outfits require a shorter top...will post pic later.

This could also be a version of a top that is "unusual."   The stripes add "visual interest"...?   Agree with DiAnne about wearing something to break up the stripes...it looked better with the black vest (will post pic later).  

Tansy, I hide the Botti(b)elli well!!  Smiley Very Happy  Plus, when Handsome is taking a pic, I'm saying to myself, "hurry up already...I can't hold it all up and in for too long!"   Altho, I have actually lost 2 inches from my waist since January YAY! 

To gacat and DH...you get on a roll, and it's hard to stop!!

Image result for hand clapping emoticon gif 

I do like those DG2 bootcut jeans and would like to get some use out of them.   Plus, could I please get out of my uniform rut (long over skinny) once in a while?!

Yellow...how long has it been with no purchases??!   I didn't dare restrict myself to "no purchases!"   I've limited myself big time tho and, obviously being very very picky about it.     

Sandy, I think you hit on something, but here's my thinking on it...some rulez are meant to be broken and some are not, and I don't have a handle on which ones are which!!   Smiley Frustrated

ABDMom...I hope it doesn't take me as long to talk myself out of it as it did to talk myself into it.  Smiley Tongue  If it works with one of the other 2 outfits I'm thinking about, I'll keep it...it was $17. 

BTW, I also bought the sweater in all black (for the turtleneck/base layer) in case the striped one didn't work out.   Yeah, black...turtleneck...basic...boring!   

I want something different!!!    

@cherry

@tansy

@gacat123

@yellowBeetle

@sandy53

@AmericanBulldogMom

@DiAnne

@MacDUFF

Oh no, lol, I never consciously restricted myself to "no purchases!!" Cat Wink  But I started my closet purge five weeks ago today...and finished it up about a week later. Since that time I have not bought any clothing or accessories! I've certainly seen things that tempted me, but not enough to buy them.

Now I'm sure this non-purchasing behavior will disappear soon! Honestly, though, after filling up and donating four very large cartons of items that I no longer wanted, it has made me take your advice to heart about buying only those items that I truly love! And thus far nothing has met that criteria! 

(But of course if my husband buys me something to wear as one of my Christmas presents, I'll gladly accept it!Woman Wink)

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

I had to run out and get a new turtleneck...not that it was imperative LOL...donated all but one and felt like I needed another.   

I found this at SteinMart.   Joseph.   I'm not a big fan of stripes...I feel that stripes accentuate Botti(b)elli™ (hehehe)...not to mention that I hate banded bottoms.   This top is a little on the short side, too.   It's perfect for a black t-neck underneath tops for warmth...it's a keeper for that...but it seems to work with boot-cut, too. 

This is about the silhouette...shorter/tighter on top, wide bottom.  This is not a silhouette I wear often.   Opinions welcome!

Old DG2 boot-cut...LDO bar necklace...CuddlDud base layer...sweater has a blue stripe in it...can wear with a blue wrap and/or my black ponte Chico's vest for added warmth...

20171214_094258.jpeg

@ECBG

@SouthFlorida321

Hey @MacDUFF I don't know why you don't like vertical stripes or the shorter hem which looks very good on you. You can "blouson" that one up too.  I wish the sweater had a bit more white striping in it to brighten it up the coloring.  I think the sweater is loose enough that it would look good with skinny jeans too.  Boot cut jeans with boots  are naturally just more of a masculine look IMO.   Other than that "thumbs up" on my end!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I like stripes. The issue I'm taking with this turtleneck is the placement of the blue stripes. Attention is drawn to them pulling attention away from your face. I agree that the shorter length is good and elongates your legs so you appear taller. 

Esteemed Contributor

Here's the striped sweater with my black ponte Chico's vest (several yrs old) and an old pair of DG2 bootcut that were sold as black, but which are really charcoal (don't get me started!).   I love this look as compared to it without the vest.  Of course, a jacket looks good, too.  Thanks to DiAnne for giving me the idea!   The addition of this $17 sweater will give new life to these jeans (which almost went to Goodwill for lack of wear), and I'll get more use out of the vest (I'm sooooo happy I bought this vest!)...

20171215_130049.jpeg

@cherry

@tansy

@gacat123

@yellowbeetle

@sandy53

@AmericanBulldogMom

@DiAnne

@SouthFlorida321

@occasionalrain

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF You look great head to toe!! That vest is the perfect addition.

Esteemed Contributor

This is an outfit suggested by @ECBG

The wide-legged cargo crops are Women With Control...which IIRC are the last purchase I kept from QVC (purchased in Aug IIRC).  Last summer, I fell in love with this different (for me) silhouette (with the purchase of denim dropped hem wide-legged jeans that, surprisingly, I wore to death and loved).   Using my Mom's rule about tighter/shorter over wide, I tried it with the striped sweater (which is as short as I'll go lol), the vest, and Coach knee-high boots.   What do you think?

20171215_130953.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Nine more shopping bags went to the Goodwill earlier this week.   I'd like to think that ends the first phase of The Project, but I already have another donation bag going!   Smiley Embarassed

Guestimating that approximately 30-35 shopping bags went out this year filled with clothes, shoes, boots, sandals, socks, scarves, jammies, jewelry, and handbags.   And flip flops!  Smiley LOL   Between 1/2 and 3/4 of stuff is gone (I don't know what fraction is between 1/2 and 3/4!!  Smiley Embarassed).

The other 2 pics show how much room I have now (to fill LOL).  I pushed all the hangers together the same as they were when the closet was packed.  Everything I own is in this area of the master room closet.   

Approximately 2.5 towering piles of clothes are gone from the shelves, and I can look in my pj drawer and actually see all my jammies not to mention that I can easily open and close the drawer!  Smiley LOL

I can look in my closet and see everything I own.   Mostly basics are left with a few dramatic/creative pieces and a few "compromises."   I can easily put outfits together at a glance...tried and true outfits and outfits I never thought of before.

I can point to every single thing that I kept because I needed clothes to wear and are slated to be the next wave out the door...which is a considerable amount if you can believe it.   

I can see the wall through, and easily move things around in, the cubbies!  

My 2017 purchases were minimal, especially since August when I really put the brakes on.   I stuck to my rulez...for the most part.  Smiley Wink

So far, I haven't missed one single thing I donated!   Smiley Surprised

The next phase will be refining and organizing.  I want to see how well I did with the things I kept.  I want to focus on a few areas (casual wear for one). 

And I can't wait to fill in some of the holes left from the purge.   Come on 2018!!!  Smiley Very Happy

20171204_145821.jpeg

20171215_200438.jpeg

20171215_200321.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

This is an outfit suggested by @ECBG

The wide-legged cargo crops are Women With Control...which IIRC are the last purchase I kept from QVC (purchased in Aug IIRC).  Last summer, I fell in love with this different (for me) silhouette (with the purchase of denim dropped hem wide-legged jeans that, surprisingly, I wore to death and loved).   Using my Mom's rule about tighter/shorter over wide, I tried it with the striped sweater (which is as short as I'll go lol), the vest, and Coach knee-high boots.   What do you think?

20171215_130953.jpeg

@MacDUFFI ment to tell you (you know I lose the pictures once I sign in) that I love the Joseph sweater and own several myself.   I would change the height of the pants.  Where a boot is concerened, either shorter pant. longer boot; longer pant, boot hemmed pants.  This is too close to an ankle pant to boot.  A few inches is a marked difference in the world of proportion.  

These pants would be cute with sandles!

Esteemed Contributor

@yellowBeetle

So...you've not purchased clothing for about 5 weeks!!!??

See the source image

I think the longest I went was 3 weeks.  Keep up the good work...love it or walk away!