Regular Contributor

Sweaters/jackets without buttons

[ Edited ]

I'm getting really tired of seeing so many cardigans and jackets that have no way to keep them closed.  Especially now that they are showing clothing that is meant to be worn in colder weather.  I can understand that folks in warmer places may not need buttons, zippers, ties, etc., but if you live in colder places, it's not practical to have your jacket or sweater hanging open all the time.  Those items only work in colder climates if you're wearing another coat on top.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sweaters/jackets without buttons

@mb141312    Amen!  What's the point of having a warm, fuzzy fleece coat, often with a hood, with no buttons? It doesn't even make sense.  I bought some large magnetic fasteners, made like snaps, that I'm saving to use if I ever see one of those coats I really like.  Haven't needed them so far.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I just bought a sweater-blazer from JCrew that is meant to be worn like a blazer and it can be belted.  It sort of "wraps".

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live where it's very cold & have several hoodies & sweaters without closures, for me they're practical since I run hot. The only time I wear & zip my heavy winter coat is when I'm shoveling snow or hiking but it doesn't stay zipped for long. The cold doesn't bother me, my winter go to is a long or short sleeve blouse with an Isaac Soho zip front tunic hoodie & it's never zipped.

Respected Contributor

I don't like cardigans with closures. I only like my heavy winter coat to have a zipper or a button. 

Honored Contributor

Even when I lived in a cold climate, I didn't actually close my jackets and coats ... unless it was very cold ... or very windy.  

Honored Contributor

I don't button a cardigan, but the only style of coat I will buy without buttons or snaps is a wrap coat with a belt.

Respected Contributor

I rarely close any type of cardigan or coat, never did. It has to be extremely cold for me to close a coat, never a cardigan. That is why you get choices in what to buy. 

Respected Contributor

"Open" fronts on many people (including me) just seem to flap in the wind. It keeps us from looking pulled togehter.

And a coat that you can't button. . .ABSURD.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer items that I can close or keep open so it’s nice to have some kind of fasteners – buttons, etc.  I would not want a sweater or jacket that didn’t have the option of closing.