Honored Contributor

Re: So I Like This Blouse But

I love it!  I would never wash it myself, I would send it to my dry cleaner to wash and iron. I had a similar safari style shirt many years ago.  No eyelets, purr white cotton.  It came from QVC and Lida Robertson talked me into buying it.  I loved it.  

Respected Contributor

I like a crisp white blouse as much as the next gal, but this one has too much goiing on at once -- feminine eyelet and waist bow, utility/safari/cargo pockets, tailored neckline, peasant/blouson sleeves.   I think I'd be thoroughly confused when I looked in the mirror, and wonder who was staring back at me!

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset 

I buy Mrs. Stewart's bluing for white clothes (my grandmother used it and so did my mother).  I also wash all of my white clothes in tap water on the hand-wash cycle and hang up.  Then I take to the dry cleaners for them to press.  I used to have a housekeeper who ironed for me but she died and now I take them to the dry cleaners.  You can take your white clothes for them to launder and press.  Yes, they use bluing to keep shirts and blouses white (told to me by my housekeeper who previously worked for a dry cleaners 25 years).

About the blouse.  I think I recall you are quite tall and if so, that blouse would look nice on you.  I don't think it would for me at 5-4.  I understand why many don't like the pockets and I would not like them on me but for a tall lady, I think it would work well.

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset love it and so freaking cute!

Honored Contributor

If it's just a couple of pieces - I'd probably take them to the clearners that do men's shirts.

My "secret" for keeping white really white ..... 

Wash white alone .... no other colors .... never ever mix colors and whites.  

Arm & Hammer detergent and a scoop of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda.

I even once had my mother comment on the brightness of my whites.

Regular Contributor

I am never a fan of pockets on shirts.  They either emphasize a large bust or draw attention to a flat chest.

I'd like the tie on the blouse if it didn't have the elastic waist.  I prefer ties that lie flat, usually coming from the side seams.

I do love the crisp white eyelet.

Honored Contributor

I think it looks like a lab coat.

At one time I was told electric drying is what yellowed whites.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

I buy Mrs. Stewart's bluing for white clothes (my grandmother used it and so did my mother).  I also wash all of my white clothes in tap water on the hand-wash cycle and hang up.  Then I take to the dry cleaners for them to press.  I used to have a housekeeper who ironed for me but she died and now I take them to the dry cleaners.  You can take your white clothes for them to launder and press.  Yes, they use bluing to keep shirts and blouses white (told to me by my housekeeper who previously worked for a dry cleaners 25 years).

About the blouse.  I think I recall you are quite tall and if so, that blouse would look nice on you.  I don't think it would for me at 5-4.  I understand why many don't like the pockets and I would not like them on me but for a tall lady, I think it would work well.

@Nonametoday my mother used to buy a bottle of that blue stuff.  Maybe I ought to consider it for my Whites.  Right now I use clorox and I know that clorox can take it's toll on the integrity of your fabrics over time.

I am not tall.  I'm the opposite.  I'm a petite in stature less than 5'2 tall.  This blouse would have to be purchased in the petite length for me if I were to bother, but I don't like the pockets.  I have a feeling these pockets are making a come back though, I won't be wearing them.  

Thanks for the tip about the blue....it does bring back child hood memories.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA I always separate clothes before laundering.Would NEVER wash whites w/colors.

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset  That is a "white-hot" blouse.  I love it! Thanks for posting. 

For whites that I do launder at home, I use Oxi-clean for the best results in retaining the bright white.  That said, whites do need to be replaced at least every other year. I would send that eyelet safari blouse to the drycleaners.