Frequent Contributor

Sizing for several clothing lines

Does anyone else get super confused on the sizing w/several clothing lines? I really want to try D&Co,S.G.,Halston,Lineo etc. I've gotten lucky w/Liz C. And Logo was true to size but I get so confused & alot of time, I only get to watch on my app. And no one gives you the actually size. They only tell you s,m,l,etc. And w/the extra charges to send things back, I feel like I have to get it right on the 1st time around. I'm 4' 11 & 110 lbs.

So, could you ladies help me? Could you give me some insight on any of the clothing lines you've tried. Pros & cons,likes & dislikes,sizing.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Sizing for several clothing lines

I lookup the garment measurements on every clothing item.  Take the online measurements from the items you ordered that fit well.  Then when you order another item, go by them.  You can't just order a medium and assume all mediums are the same.  They may or may not be.  I haven't had fit issues since I've done this.

Honored Contributor

No, I never get confused.  I don't understand how anyone can get confused by sizing, it's so easy and simple.  I don't anything about the phone app, if you don't have access to the size charts on the phone app, you're out of luck.  But shopping Qvc.com is very easy, you do have to know your measurements.  Your real ones and not ones you guess at.  You go to the size chart that is give for every single garment Qvc sells and plug in your body measurements to get your size.  And yes, you will sometimes wear different sizes for different designers.  Not radically different but for one you might be a medium and for another you might be a large.  And use your largest area to determine your size.  I know there is a great reluctance to do it but every now and then I buy to fit my hips and booty and then I have to have the tailor in my dry cleaner take the waist in for me.  It cost $15 but I like clothes that fit well.  How much you weigh is irrelevant.  How could anyone determine a dress size based on weight and height...that's not even possible.  I weigh 20lbs more and I'm shorter than my friend and yet we wear the same size in clothes.  What are your body measurements?  Bust, waist, hips and how do you like to dress?  With that, the ladies on the board have something to work with and can lend some assistance. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have found a difference in sizing from the SAME brand many times.  

Even ordered 2 of the same item, different color, at the same time and there is a difference in the sizing.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry if I am not much help.  I have had a problem with inconsistent sizing the past several years.  Under the items description on line you will see "garment measurements click here".  This chart gives the garments width and length at various points.  I took these measurements on a garment of mine that fits good so that I can compare this with the chart.  Taking this extra step and time has reduced the number of tight/baggy items I have received.  

I have never been disappointed by Issac, Louis D, Liz C, Dennis B.  Logo runs tight in the chest and upper arms but if I sized up the hips would be huge.   I recently began buying Halston and so far I like my purchases.

I am 5'4" tall and wear an XL so I have to watch the lengths very closely or they cut my legs off.  My inseam is 30".   I do have to hem most pants.  29" and 32" do not work for me. I need regular pants.  The rise in a petite is way to short for me.  At my age I do not wear hip huggers.  They want us to think everyone can wear everything.   Not in the real world.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes! And, yes, I carefully read the garment size measurements before ordering, but you still can't tell exactly how a specific garment will fit your body, particularly given that fabrics are so very different. Ordering online is just like that, but it is possible to get better with practice (i.e. It's like a sporting activity - LOL). I just consider the cost of returns and the hassle, etc. to be part of the overall cost of shopping online. I think it all balances out in the end; I save valuable time, wear & tear on my car, gas, parking, and personal frustration----so I don't get too upset when something doesn't work. I frequently return garments.

Honored Contributor

Looking at the styling of the item will really help. I get a lot of fitting info from the item on the front hanger.

If the sides of a top aren't straight, it will probably fit more snuggly.  Issac's tops are more fitted. GILI usually runs more narrow. Princess seams are also a closer fit.

D&C is a more relaxed line and made for every day, very few if theirs run snug.  

It seems that if the designer is more mature, they cut with more room.  I have found Linea and Dennis Basso don't run small.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I find different lines and some in the same lines are all over the place. 

My closet has qvc clothes from small to XL, and they all fit. My weight has not changed more than 3 lbs. Up or down in 20 years.

I remember when all qvc sizing was the same, it was a mantra for them, once you find your size they will all fit.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

Yes, I find different lines and some in the same lines are all over the place. 

My closet has qvc clothes from small to XL, and they all fit. My weight has not changed more than 3 lbs. Up or down in 20 years.

I remember when all qvc sizing was the same, it was a mantra for them, once you find your size they will all fit.

Very very funny...lol  Small to X large...lol  You went a bit overboard there but you did give us a good laugh.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

No, I never get confused.  I don't understand how anyone can get confused by sizing, it's so easy and simple.  I don't anything about the phone app, if you don't have access to the size charts on the phone app, you're out of luck.  But shopping Qvc.com is very easy, you do have to know your measurements.  Your real ones and not ones you guess at.  You go to the size chart that is give for every single garment Qvc sells and plug in your body measurements to get your size.  And yes, you will sometimes wear different sizes for different designers.  Not radically different but for one you might be a medium and for another you might be a large.  And use your largest area to determine your size.  I know there is a great reluctance to do it but every now and then I buy to fit my hips and booty and then I have to have the tailor in my dry cleaner take the waist in for me.  It cost $15 but I like clothes that fit well.  How much you weigh is irrelevant.  How could anyone determine a dress size based on weight and height...that's not even possible.  I weigh 20lbs more and I'm shorter than my friend and yet we wear the same size in clothes.  What are your body measurements?  Bust, waist, hips and how do you like to dress?  With that, the ladies on the board have something to work with and can lend some assistance. 

@chrystaltree   Excellent advice ... and I would add - be sure to add "wearing ease"  when choosing a size.