Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Tuesday, March 8th

Hello all, I didn't see a post for today.  Not too much going on.  I'm at work and we have spring like temps outside.  That's about it for me, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Tuesday, March 8th

Hi all,

Thanks @Bird mama, for starting today.

Not much from me either. I did all my housework yesterday and today it is 70 degrees out and fairly windy, storms later on, I suppose. I had to decide between working more on the downstairs bathroom and outdoors...you know which I chose, lol. Just came back inside a few minutes ago. Hope everyone is enjoying a nice day. Waves....

"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

Hi Bernie - thanks for getting us started.  I just finished reading the past two days of threads to get caught up.  Like several of you, I also watched the finale of Downton Abbey.  I really enjoyed the ending which left everyone content and happy.  I agree that way too many series drag on too long, and even "jump the shark".  Better to finish on a high note.  Speaking of T.V. shows - I have a multitude that are automatically recorded, and then I feel compelled to watch them.  I have the choice to fast forward though, and I use that option a lot, lol.

Well, on Saturday I got to meet my DS's girlfriend.  Let's just say that it didn't go that well.  She comes from a culture where (supposedly), elders are treated with respect.  This girl must not have learned that lesson, because she corrected me constantly, as if I were dumb or uneducated.  There were a couple of times when I just I stared at her in astonishment by how rude and annoying she was being.  I was pretty good at biting my tongue and being polite and friendly.  I made chicken marsala, rice, and salad for dinner, and she did seem to enjoy that.  It was an interesting day.

One of the things I did with my DS and his girlfriend was drop off some things at the thrift store.  So happy to have cleared unneeded things out.  Then we shopped a couple of thrift stores, which is a favorite hobby of our's.  The girlfriend seemed okay with that, and it gave her a chance to see what our town looks like.

We got a tiny bit of rain the past two days.  I wish we would get more.  I've had beautiful daffodils blooming in my yard, and now some pink tulips are starting to bloom.  Tulips rarely grow in our area because it doesn't get cold enough in the winter, but for some reason these tulips have done well.  They were potted flowers that my DH gifted me, and afterwards, I planted the bulbs in the yard, even though it was a longshot that they'd ever live and bloom.  Now it's 5 years later and they're still going strong! 

Still doing fairly well not shopping excessively, and hope you're all doing the same.  Take care!  ~  Charlene

Honored Contributor

@cerb

How serious is DS about this girl? lol

Kids today - they know it all and have no problem acting like it (rolling my eyes).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies...Thamks for starting  Bernie...Not much going on here either. It is warm though over 60 so I am loving that.    Had to laugh Charlene about meeting your son's GF.  Maybe she was nervous too and felt funny...did you DS say anything to you later on?Your dinner that you made sounded great.

Nice to see you posting Pinky,hope your DH is feeling better.  Everytime I see a sale at Mavy's I always think of you....I have been ordering online....seems like more of a choice to me and I don't have to wade thru tons of clearance racks....if I don't like something the Mall is about 8 miles from me so not a long drive.   I think.hope, winter is over for us....a "good" one for me...not too much snow,about 30 inches..less than usual but ok.

That's about it........Have a nice day everyome....Marijane

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! It's an absolutely gorgeous day out!  Hopefully spring is here to stay.  I'm meeting a friend in an hour; we're going to Cheddar's to celebrate "Freedom Day" (24 years) - I'm looking forward to having one of their Painkillers.

Charlene, the GF sounds awful!  If she were nervous I'd have expected her to be even more respectful.  If it were me I'd have said something like, "Gee, I was under the impression that people from your culture respected their elders, but I guess you prove there's always an exception!"  Cat LOL  Hopefully DS isn't serious about her.

I got three more tops set aside for the missions closet; two I've worn a number or times, and one I've never worn and probably never will - it's very pretty, but just not really "me."  I like them all, but have too many things I've never worn.

Guess I'd better get dressed and ready - I'll check in later.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Good evening, everyone! I am home from work a little early as the teacher had a planning period the last period of the day..

The first thing I did upon getting home was to turn on the Q. I really don't think I'll drop $150+  on some skin care.

It is a gorgeous day but showers are expected later this week but I definitely can handle the temperatures.

I really don't have much to talk about, so I don't have much to post. I do hope everyone has had a great day and a great evening.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Marijane, I think of you too when I see a sale ad, and wonder what, if anything you're buying! lol My Macy's bag is due on Thursday, and the others from I Love Dooney are unsure to me when they're arriving. Could be anyday...

Glad everyone's got the same fantastic weather! I've been outside a few times just to enjoy the warm air. Hope all is well with everyone who hasn't posted. pinky

Respected Contributor

Afternoon, just home from the airport, busy day, lots of kids, is it Spring break this early, meant to ask a couple of parents but my waiting line was long, so I just kept going.

Weather here is much the same as all of you, was sunny & windy but now clouds coming in, believe rain is due.

@cerb sure hope the thing with DS's girlfriend will not be an ongoing behaviour, seems odd for her to be abrasive as it is the first time you've met, thinking good manners  would have been more courteous.

Well not much else going on,  oh my skunk is gone  YAY!

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Our weather is cool, and we even had a little rain.  High for the day was only 60 degrees -- this is quite a change from last week when we were close to 90 degrees.  We don't have DST here in Arizona, so when the rest of you get it, we will be three hours behind Q time (Eastern time). Fine for Q, but not so much for DD -- difficult to find a convenient time to talk.

Glad you were able to work outside, snicks.  I know that you enjoy that much more than "inside work".

That is neat about the tulips, Charlene.  So far, I haven't had any luck planting things in the yard other than cactus, etc.  I probably need to water things more, which I usually forget to do.  Sorry your DS's GF was so rude.  I can't imagine being treated that way, but I only had a daughter.  I know she hasn't always been thrilled with her son's girlfriends.  Good for you holding your tongue and being friendly.

Hi Marijane.  Glad you have been able to do some shopping at Macy's.  DGS enjoys working there, and I know some stores are closing (but not his, thank goodness.)

Hope you have fun with your friend, Arlene.  Sorry you had such an abusive husband.  I finally realized (after 35 plus years) that my ex was emotionally abusive to me.  Not easy to live with someone like that.  

The hospice rule (don't know if it is a government rule, but I would not be surprised) is that you only get 15 days worth of medicine per time.  I guess they don't want you left with lots of medicine if your loved one passes.  Fortunately, they delivered DH's pills yesterday afternoon.  He slept pretty well last night.  When I picked him up from the "club" the aide told me that he is doing much better in the afternoon now that I am making his lunch.  I think he wasn't getting enough to eat before -- yikes!

Glad you had a good day, Jean.  No expensive skin care for me either.  I enjoy hearing from you even if there isn't too much new/exciting going on.  You are so right about the past when I didn't imagine travel would not be possible in a few years.  The really sad part is that DH used to love to travel, and that was one thing that brought us together.

Happy you are having good weather pinky ann.  It is nice to see you posting again.

Good news about the skunk, spix.  Yucky.  I know my oldest DGS is on spring break from college this week, but goes back next week.  The other two boys (one in high school and the other in community college) are in school this week.  I think they will be off closer to Easter, but I'm not sure about that.

Waves to Kathleen, twinny (extra hugs), LindaR, Rosa, Barbara, Karen, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

We were busy at the senior lunch program, and for some reason they shortchanged us with vegetables.  We didn't have many last week either.  I told the head of the lunch program to let them know -- I have no clue why we had plenty of meat, salad, etc., but not enough vegetables.

I went to the gym after work, and then picked up DH.  Nice to get some positive news about him.  

Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda