Respected Contributor

I am deathly allergic to shellfish.

Last night they were selling a t-shirt that the host said was made of oyster shells. 

I am curious as to how this is manufactured, and if having it on my skin would be dangerous. 

I can't see my peanut allergy friend wanting to wear a shirt made of peanut shells.

If anyone can answer, I would love to know.

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny That's the oddest thing I've heard in awhile! I don't know that I would risk it but maybe someone else can give you some advice. I hate most fish except tuna, fish sticks and a filet-o-fish from McD's LOL!

Respected Contributor

I saw that shirt presented. I think it was called seawool fabric.  When it was explained that it was made with finely ground oyster shells, I thought it was odd but I never thought about people with shellfish allergies.  I would definitely stay away from anything made out of that fabric if I were allergic to shellfish. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Shell fish?

[ Edited ]

here it is A377834Smiley Surprised

Trusted Contributor

I am deathly allergic to China.

Honored Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

I am deathly allergic to China.

@MarkeieMark- Well, it's made in Indonesia, so you should be okay with this!

Honored Contributor

how wonderful that they are using oyster shells to make fabric!

oyster shell recycling is big in our area.....chesapeake bay and the delmarva beach areas. they are being put back into the bay to help rebuild oyster reefs.

Seawool naturally stops odour causing bacteria from growing on the fabric, which keeps the fabric and garment smelling fresher for long.

Oyster shells are sourced from the food industry, ground into powder and mixed with recycled PET plastic bottles. It can also prevent the static from happening during the winter time.

Seawool is soft to touch and provides natural insulation to help keep the body warm in cold temperatures.

SeaWool uses a proprietary heat process to combine oyster shells with recycled poly fibers from plastic bottles to create a product that is great for yarns and insulation fill. The result is a structure that shares 98% of wool's traits with the added bonus that it helps in building a circular economy.

SEAWOOL is perfect for the cool summer evenings and cold winter days.

It is important to note that there are no oyster shells in SEAWOOL, the main ingredient are plastic bottles from the sea, these shells are used in a heat process to break down the plastic bottles into a recycled poly fiber and cotton fibers are mixed to create the material SEAWOOL.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

I am deathly allergic to shellfish.

Last night they were selling a t-shirt that the host said was made of oyster shells. 

I am curious as to how this is manufactured, and if having it on my skin would be dangerous. 

I can't see my peanut allergy friend wanting to wear a shirt made of peanut shells.

If anyone can answer, I would love to know.

@hennypenny Don't even consider it.  You could go into anaphyalatic shock!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG , my thinking exactly. 

What concerns me is that if this information isn't made clear to everyone they could be in real danger.

It really frightens me.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG  , my thinking exactly. 

What concerns me is that if this information isn't made clear to everyone they could be in real danger.

It really frightens me.