Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, MAY 5th)

Good Afternoon/Evening!  We have had another hot and dry day here.  My nephew who lives on a small ranch (does horse rescue) in Oklahoma had a tornado yesterday.  Fortunately neither humans or animals were harmed.  He did have about 6 inches of water in the bedroom, however.  Hope the weather in your area is okay.

I did my usual weekly grocery shopping this morning and found a few specials (strawberries and zucchini) that made me smile, but most of the other items had gone up in price yet again.  I'm spending more and getting less like everyone else.  I heard from Jean that she has reduced many of her comfort foods to help save $$.  By the way, she does not know when she will hear back about her test results.

I certainly can understand why you and your DH don't want to drive into New Orleans, Glenda.  But, I am sorry you will not have a chance to see the city -- very interesting place.  You have found many interesting places to visit.  Hope you have enough clothing to avoid doing laundry while you are on your trip.

Sorry about those chairs, Bernie.  Hope the replacements are fine.

I know if I mentioned that on Fressa's advice, I bought two of the plug-in Dyna Traps -- they do catch lots of little bugs, which is a blessing.  I don't need the TSV outdoor version.

This afternoon, I did my hospice deliveries, and I'm feeling a bit sleepy at the moment.  The good news is that I found my missing navy sandal.  I could not do so for a couple of days, and could not find a replacement for less than $60.  And, I was not sure those sandals would work.  Whew! 

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Happy Cinco de Mayo, and sleep well.  Please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, MAY 5th)

Good evening ladies, hope all is well.

Linda - Thank you for starting us today.  I am sorry to hear about your nephew ranch.  I am glad to hear no one  and no animals were injured.  I hope he gets everything straightened around quickly.   Please send some of your weather my way.  It was very nice all day and we did get the grass cut at both houses, but, the rain is coming back this evening.  The rain is making the grass grow like crazy.  

Glenda - Stay safe on your vacation.  Weather is not in your favor from what I see on the Weather Channel.

Bernie - Sorry about the chairs.

Jean - Keeping you in my thoughts.  

We are 98% done unpacking, I just can not seem to finish the last room.  I keep finding other things to do.  So my goal for tomorrow is to at least start the room, we will see how that goes.

Well off to finish watching Deadliest Catch.  Have a good evening everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L & we got into Louisiana first thing yesterday morning.  It was another hot day but a good driving day. We got a thunderstorm last night, but for only a few hours.   I had a good lunch at Cajan restaurant which was new for me.  It was a cup of gumbo and 12 large grilled shrimp with sweet potato fries.  Excellent.  My dh tried it and said it was good, but he got the pork chop special.   

We have plenty of clothes to get us back home  but I am 2 pairs of shoes short from when we left home. Day two of our vacation, my favorite pair of gold sandals fell apart and went into the trash can.  Then the next day I couldn't find my favorite pair of purple rubber beach shoes by Bass.  I left them on the picnic table in the first campground we stayed at. They were both 6 years old, but I really liked them.  I bought a nice pair of sandals over a week ago, but I don't want to wear them before we get back home.  They are very comfy with the memory foam.

Another reason we didn't go into New Orleans was because we are avoiding large cities and a lot of people because of Covid.  We are in a nice motel in a small town.

Susan, it looks like you are making good progress with your unpacking.  Other than the thunderstorm last night we have had great weather and have been to a lot of places that we have never been to before.

This morning after we eat breakfast out, we are heading to AR for a couple of days and then onto Branson for a couple of days.  

It's early in the morning and I need to get back to bed. 

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, I forgot to mention that when we had lunch at the Cajan restaurant yesterday the waitress apologized for our meal coming out so late.  We didn't care as we had plenty of time.  She said she had no idea what was going on in the kitchen, but she was going to give us a complimentary side salad which was huge.  As soon as we got the salads, our meal came to us so we ate very little of the salad as we were so full.  Then the restaurant gave everybody a slice of Angel food cake and fresh strawberries.  My lunch was $I8 & my dh's was $10.  We were surprised at the reasonable price.

One day when we got to our motel, there was a battery missing from the remote and a light bulb for one of the lamps was missing. My dh went to the office and immediately a gal came to replace them.  She said if things aren't attached they are stolen.  Then she went on to say that one day when she went to clean a room all of the pillows, sheets, comforter and towels were gone.

I am up early, showered and waiting for my dh to wake up.  The shower head was the size of a huge sunflower.  

There's no breakfast here which we are fine with as its very clean and in a good location. We are hoping to have a good breakfast & eat something that we don't get at home.

Because of Covid all of the motels have a different protocol as to how breakfast is done.  One could only have carry out juice, coffee and packaged breakfast bars.

One had a full breakfast.  Biscuits and gravy, pancakes, cereal, hard boiled eggs.

It looks like it's going to be a nice day.  We have been very lucky weather wise so far, but things can change in a hurry.

Glenda

Honored Contributor

Hi Linda @LindaLatte 

I'm glad that your nephew made it through the tornado without any injuries or fatalities.  Whenever I heard about tornadoes my mind usually goes to animals, livestock, etc.  It's not that I don't care about the humans; humans can open doors and hide in basements, cellars etc.

About Mardi Gras.  I don't know if my sister read too many Harlequin romances as a teenager or what; she got it in her head that she wanted to attend Mardi Gras at least once in her lifetime.  I think we went in 1991, I would have to look at photographs.  I mention the year we went in the hopes that certain aspects of the experience have changed.

Ash Wednesday fell in February that year.  I know I was in New Orleans for my eldest niece's birthday which falls on February 14th.  The trip was a combination of planes, trains and automobiles, lol.

Took a flight from Metro Detroit that landed somewhere down south (Tennesee?) and we had to run to a connecting flight that ended in Baton Rouge.  From there we had to board something like a Greyhound Bus to get us to New Orleans.  I was on antibiotics with bronchitis and if I recall correctly, one of my eardrums broke or split from the cabin pressure.  That said, I was doing alright.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn which was okay.  My impression of Mardi Gras is this:  a bunch of out of state drunks who came to town to fly their freak flags and behave badly.

I grew up and was still living in Detroit at that time.  I grew up in a multi ethnic and multi racial neighborhood and was ill prepared for the overt racism that I witnessed in NOLA again from out of state drunks who came to behave badly.

There were a couple of experiences that I will not bore anyone with here when I said something in response to an out of state drunk behaving badly about the overt racism.  My sister thought we were going to get are butts kicked before we made it back to the hotel.

Now, all of the drunks were sleeping it off on Ash Wednesday which ironically was my last day in NOLA.  It was then that I realized that we should have booked a trip to NOLA when it WASN'T Mardi Gras.

It has been 30 years and whenever my sister expresses an idea for us that seems like a bad idea, I look at her and say Louisiana - that ends it.

The locals were beautiful, the pastries to die for and the architecture and history of NOLA were worth exploring.  It was my first time 'down south' and I swore to my father when he picked us up at the airport I was never going down south again.  I haven't been south of Ohio.  I do like the southwest and enjoyed AZ.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Susan @PAlady  You've made a lot of progress unpacking. 

Honored Contributor

Glenda @twinny70  it sounds like you are having a great time.