Respected Contributor

I love when groups of women from different age groups come together, I always learn something new.....

I was talking about a poncho I bought as was on the fence about returning, several commented that I should have worn it to our dinner and they could have voted.

When I explained I would never remove all the tags, wear an item out and then return, the 30 and younger group looked at me like I was from another planet.

The one works PT at WhiteHouse Black Market and told of stories of women who come in regularly by $$$$ worth of clothes and return them worn and unwashed.!!!

I was raised if you cut the tag off- you own it!! (excluding a manufacturing flaw or defect)

Am I a dinosaur??

Trusted Contributor

Re: Returning clothes

[ Edited ]

I wash clothing/lingerie that I buy before I ever wear it, so the tags have to come off, but I do save them in case I have to return the item (s) Everything gets washed/dried on the delicate cycle or if the item is delicate or has lace on it, it's hung to dry. If the item doesn't fare well during washing/drying, it gets returned. (shrinkage, twisted seams, pilling)

Honored Contributor

Returning "worn" items to the store has been going on forever.    I remember when I was in high school..........the girls would put masking tape on the soles of their shoes so they wouldn't show any "wear".............and then peel the tape off, and return the shoes after their "big date".   Uh......I've HAD my 50th reunion (!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Returning "worn" items to the store has been going on forever.    I remember when I was in high school..........the girls would put masking tape on the soles of their shoes so they wouldn't show any "wear".............and then peel the tape off, and return the shoes after their "big date".   Uh......I've HAD my 50th reunion (!!)

Do you return clothes after wearing?

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

Do you return clothes after wearing?

@Abrowneyegirl   I have never returned worn clothing.   There is ONE exception:   A brand new dress shirt (in the right size) that my husband wore ONCE, pulled apart at the flat-fell seams in the wash.   I took it back to the store (Robinson's) wet........and they gave me a refund.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I was raised if you cut the tag off- you own it!! (excluding a manufacturing flaw or defect)

Am I a dinosaur??

Maybe we're both dinosauers because I have the same belief.  

Honored Contributor

This is the fault of the store since they accept the items back and give full refunds. I know someone who barely has 6 items in her closet that she owns - she orders - wears and returns everything. And doesn't understand why everyone doesn't do the same. I am a germaphobic so the idea of wearing anyones used clothing - esp. considering that person could have MRSA or something - just skeeves me out. I could never do that.  I do not return used items unless they are defective and I do not use used items. I am always esp. skeeved out by people who buy used purses.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure that some classess, tacky, greedy women do that but I think trashy women like that are few and far between.  They are not the average shopper.  My guess is the WHBM worker was exaggering.  But I don't blame the women who return things that they have worn, I blame the store clerks that have no guts and let themselves be intimidated into giving them refunds they don't deserve.  Having said that, I don't buy as-is clothing here for JUST that reason.  The as-is markdowns just aren't that great and I have no doubt that with a 30 day return periond, a lot  of shoppers wear things 3 or 4 times before they "decide' they don't want it.  So, the WHBM woman thought the only thing those women do wrong is that they don't wash the used clothing before they return it...lol 

Respected Contributor

Re: Returning clothes

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I love when groups of women from different age groups come together, I always learn something new.....

I was talking about a poncho I bought as was on the fence about returning, several commented that I should have worn it to our dinner and they could have voted.

When I explained I would never remove all the tags, wear an item out and then return, the 30 and younger group looked at me like I was from another planet.

The one works PT at WhiteHouse Black Market and told of stories of women who come in regularly by $$$$ worth of clothes and return them worn and unwashed.!!!

Am I a dinosaur??

No. Just because QVC wrongly allows returns of used items does not make it right. If I am unsure about something,  I do not remove tags or wear it until I doublecheck the fit or whatever. Returning used clothing or, Heaven forbid, shoes is tacky beyond belief. Most stores do not allow it. If I order shoes online, I know I can only try them by  wearing them if I am walking on a rug because the sole cannot show wear and still be returned. I just asked my niece, who is here, and she agreed. I guess she and I were brought up properly.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi  To do that is JUST WRONG no matter that "it has been going on forever".

A person who would wear something bought just to return it so they do not have to pay for it  is a person with no morals or scruples.

A person I would not want as a friend.

A person I would think of as scum of the Earth.