Honored Contributor

Re: Rain Coats-Do You Prefer A Hood?

[ Edited ]

@luvzchiz 

I still have some of those jackets - lightweight "windbreaker" that I bought from LandsEnd.  I would guess I bought them 20+ year ago and I still wear them occasionally.

One black, one red and one navy.

ETA:  Not very good for protection from the rain.

-----------------------------------------------------

@luvzchiz wrote:

Definitely hoods.   I remember eons ago when some lightweight jackets came with hoods that rolled up and became part of the collar of the jacket.  I still prefer a proper hood. 

Honored Contributor

I like a hood.  Sometimes you can avoid shlepping an umbrella around if you have a hood.

Esteemed Contributor

Need a hood on my raincoat when walking my dog in the rain. Too hard to juggle an umbrella while holding the leash and picking up after the dog.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely! I wear a royal blue one from LLBean and I feel like I should carry a microphone with me, as I look like I'm with the Weather Channel 😊

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

Yes, hood is a necessity. For me an umbrella is not practical at all when walking, shopping, taking a bus or train. Umbrellas are so annoying when it's windy. My raincoat hass a toggle to secure the hood.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Esteemed Contributor

NO hoods! Cannot stand them and have passed on coats with hoods due to the bulkiness. They are uncomfortable and, well, unattractive.  Fortunately, I have naturally curl in my hair. If it rains, I don't care. It will dry and return to its natural look if I simply flip my finger tips through my hair for additional height and bounce. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Contributor

Love hoods. Keeps me dry when it rains and warm when I'm cold.
Trusted Contributor

I like a hood on all of my coats, not only raincoats.  Nothing like a hood on top of a knit hat when snow is swirling and winds howling. They are great in the rain, too.  If it's not a downpour, I'll take a hood  over an umbrella anyday. Come to think of it, all my coats have hoods,except my " dress" coat which doesn't get worn much at all. My husband has started buying hooded jackets as well.  He's finally seen the light! 

Esteemed Contributor

I definitely prefer a hooded raincoat as well as any type of winter coat.  IMHO, umbrellas are worthless.  By the time you get out of your car and get the umbrella up w/out scratching your car....you're drenched (at least I am).  With the wind, they turn inside out.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I don't remember when I HAVEN'T had a hood! It's hard to carry books and other things and hold an umbrella at the same time, and no matter how "leakproof" an umbrella is I always get soaked!  Smiley Wink