Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of August 9

Glad you like the place you are staying, Barbara.  And, do enjoy every minute.  I was thinking that I'm not much of a beach person, but I could use a couple of days at the beach right now.  

Happy your trip is back on, Claudia.  I certainly can't do all that Barbara does on her phone, but it can be helpful.  I used the maps one time when I was lost, and that really helped me.  I certainly can understand about the music issue.  Fortunately, I haven't really been trapped into hearing music I don't enjoy.

Today has been one of the most difficult days I have had recently, and I'm very close to tears.  DH and I took our walk just fine, and then I took my bath, and gave him a bath.  When it came time for him to get out of the tub, he could not do it.  He just couldn't remember how to stand up.  I demonstrated, put him in position, tried to push and pull him, etc., etc.  After an hour and one-half plus, I was desperate. I missed church, and I just could not figure out what to do.  Eventually, I called 911, and the several fire department guys came.  They helped him out of the tub, and I got him dressed.  But, my blood pressure was sky high, and I was so upset.  Anyway, I decided to go to the gym, and he wanted to come with me.  I hesitated, but he did okay.  Not perfect, but okay.  

I felt so helpless, but he is way heavier than me, and I just could not pull him up.  What made it even worse is that he told me that once his wife went in the bathtub while he was out, and stayed in the cold water until he came back.  I think he was very worried that I would leave him or not be able to help him.  

I decided no more baths for him, so he will just take showers (he prefers baths, but....)  And, I ordered a shower seat for him -- it won't come in until Friday, so until then, I will probably just give him sponge baths (washcloth baths).  

Sorry for the venting, but I am still trying to calm down and get over it.  Just one more wrinkle, I suppose.  

Hope you continue to feel okay and enjoy your trip, Barbara, and you can go on yours with no problem, Claudia.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda..I am so sorry for the difficulty with do. Have you thought that perhaps it is time for some help to come in. I did this with my mom and my bio did it with his wife who is end stage nos.

you could get some one to come in and of the bathing an give you some respite time.  I think you are at a point where you need it before you hurt yourself or burn out. 

You did the right thing in calling for help.

(((Hugs))))

Respected Contributor

What a terrible time you had, Linda. I do agree with Barbara that it's time for some outside help. I'm glad he was able to go out with you later with no problems. You really need to look after yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  I'm doing much better today, thank goodness.  DH and I had a nice walk this morning (there was a breeze, and it wasn't too hot), and I did my strong bones workout.  I came home and prepared his lunch (put it in the refrigerator) since I will be going to a combination lunch/bookclub meeting today.  Five of us are planning to attend, and it should be fun.

I gave DH a shower this morning, and he did okay.   

I realize that I will need to consider some changes around here, and I'm hoping to get some good suggestions at the caregiver meeting this Thursday.  I really hope it works out for DH to go to the adult daycare.  I don't think I need someone to come in yet, but I do want to find out the good sources of help, etc.  The home health care company that helped me advertises that they specialize in memory care, and you can hire them for as little as two hours at a time.  

Thanks for your concern, I was a mess yesterday.  

Hope you continue to have a good time in Hawaii, Barbara.  Also hope your trip goes well, Claudia.  I have forgotten when you leave, but have a safe trip whenever that happens.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

It is mid morning here...it is hot and very humid...the trade winds will not return until weds. I went in the ocean yesterday and the current is very strong here so I am a little sore. Syd only goes I up to her knees. We are going shopping this morning and then will do pool time later. Linda, glad things are better..I am sure you will get some good advice from your group this week. I just want you to take care of yourself. Caregivers often forget to do that. I admire all you do..you are an angel. Claudia. Safe travels... I managed to get a little sunburned yesterday so need to reapply sunscreen . Enjoy you day.
Respected Contributor

I am so happy today is a better day, Linda. It won't hurt to keep a list handy of possible sources of assistance. I hope the daycare works out for DH. It may take several times before he's comfortable with it. Vent anytime.

Barbara, that was a great picture of Sydnie on fb.

Tomorrow morning early the dogs go to the kennel. Then we come back home and do last minute things before leaving for a hotel near the airport. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to post. Adam just advised his dad not to play music or watch videos unless he has wifi.

I'm mostly packed and since it is hot have been trying to pace myself. The house probably won't get picked up given R and all the animals. At times I feel like I take one step forward and one and a half back.

We're just back from the cu after getting cash for the trip. A couple months ago they shut down the atm saying due to the merger that took place last fall. No idea when or if there will be one. I know we need cash for his unit dinner and the Chinese auction. Earlier R was using a callus remover to get dry skin off his heels. He took off a bit much and I ended up using the micro-pedi to smooth the skin. I'd better hide the callus remover tool.

Respected Contributor

Barbara it sounds like a good day in spite of the heat and humidity.

Esteemed Contributor

Hope your weather has improved, Barbara.  The one and only time I went to Hawaii (mid/late July), it was hot and humid when we arrived, and I was so disappointed in the weather.  I could have hot and humid in Maryland.  Fortunately, the weather improved by the end of our stay.

What an ordeal, Claudia.  Hope the dogs are in the kennel and you are getting ready to go to the hotel.   DD told me about the videos taking up lots of data time, but she downplayed the music data use.  However, I took a walk, and found that I had used quite a bit of data in half an hour.  That is when I decided the music playing would not happen outside of Wi-Fi unless I get more data.  I saw that Verizon is changing their plans, and I may end up getting more data or switching companies when my contact ends in January (I think.)  While I was away, I used our (really DH's, but....) i-pad which worked pretty well.  Still it is not as easy as using my laptop.

DH's DD called last night, and I told her what happened on Sunday.  She was very sympathetic and concerned, and encouraged me to look into having someone come in the house so that DH could get used to them and they could get used to him.  I told her I was thinking about the idea.  

Yesterday, DH was fine -- the shower worked well, and so far this morning he is okay.  But, he did try to go to bed very early (starting around 2:30), and he just came in asking about taking a walk when we already walked this morning.  We are going to the senior lunch program today and hopefully the gym later.

The bookclub/lunch meeting yesterday was interesting, but not the best.  The food at the restaurant was very good, but the place was crowded and noisy.  I had trouble taking notes, etc.  Oh well....  Nice place to go to lunch when you don't need to talk/visit much.

Things seem to be going pretty well with DD and family, which is a relief.

Hope you continue to enjoy your trip, Barbara, and fingers crossed that all goes smoothly for yours, Claudia.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda, DH's daughter has a good idea- having DH get used to someone coming in.

The dogs went to the kennel around 8. Bo and Griff in the Chevy Cruze. Griff decided to ride up front and pawed my shoulder for attention and turned the dome light on with his head. Titan rode with R in the suv.

Now I need to feed and water the cats plus do the cat litter. After I do that and get our bags down and the rest of the recycling out we'll be ready to go. I had planned to wear black pebble crepe but am rethinking that after Griff rode in the front seat. No matter what you do there's always 1 or 2 pyr hairs.

I hope you and Barbara have a good day. I've never been to Hawaii, Barbara. maybe one of these days.

Respected Contributor

Claudia. Safe travels today.. You manage a lot withe dogs. 

Linda, it is so good your dil is supportive. You are on a very difficult path and I support getting all the help you can. That is a good idea to get do used to someone.,too bad the restaurant was so noisy...there are times when v cannot hear because of all the noise. I have a data plan with unlimited data because I do a lot of texting with my kids and friends. I have 3 phones on my plan from ATT .because we have been with them so long, I have a great rate, enjoy the lunch program.

today is a pool day...there are a lot of people here so seating can be at a premium.,there are 5 pools so we may go to a less popular one. Tonight we have a luau. I am going to have v do laundry today..

it it got better weather wise yesterday once the winds picked up.

enjoy your day.